Alternative for NC MP5 supercharger

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
WilliamM256

Alternative for NC MP5 supercharger

Post by WilliamM256 »

I'm planning this winter's garage project. Looks like the MP5 kit is off the table, but I have a few questions:

I drive 95% street Grand Touring (two lane touring preferred), a little track night, and enjoy the hands on work on the Miata.

I have a 2006 NC with the GT package. I have already installed the full Roadstersport header (w/cat & ceramic coating), Helmoholtz Midpipe and SuperQ muffler, AEM cold air intake, Ecutek with Dynotronics Tune license, Enkei RPF1 17x8 wheels with Michelin Pilot 225-45 Supersport tires, and an HD clutch/pressure plate kit.

* Is the Kraftworks kit still available, and is it suitable for every day driving? I would plan to use the low boost pulley.
* If the Kraftworks SC kit is still available (or you can recommend a suitable alternative) will I need:
- oil cooler kit?
- manifold heat shield?
- increased radiator capacity?
- forged crank?

* What suspension improvements would you recommend over the Bilsteins and stock sway bars to improve handling without screwing up the ride and with minor suspension height reduction (roads here are not good).?
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Alternative for NC MP5 supercharger

Post by Brian »

On Supercharger we don't have a great answer today, MP62 kit is still my choice on my 2007 and it's still great but I really don't know if another batch of those will happen. Meanwhile the Kraftwerks kits just were not fully engineered in our experience, not completed. Perhaps they have fixed them, don't know. Thus, cannot say that I am really happy with any boost options today for 2.0, would rather do 2.5 conversion. We are talking about another NC project here, likely do 2.5 and about 200 hp and leave it normally aspirated. Our Project Blue was a real joy around the track with just normally aspirated 2.5, Ohlins, 6UL wheels, etc.

Which brings us to big improvement in handling without screwing up daily ride. That we can help with today, Ohlins Coilovers are the easy answer. And I usually suggest folks hold off on sway bar upgrade until after they put some miles on the Ohlins, you might still want it even more flat for track days but the ride/handling balance of the Ohlins out of the box without more mods is so good that many conclude nothing more needed on handling.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
DanaB628

Post by DanaB628 »

Brian, since the MP62 isn't available I've been thinking about your M-E turbo kit for my '14 Club (which I bought new planning on the SC). I've been searching the forums for performance/installation data but have found nothing. Moto-East's website is virtually gone and there's no info there. You didn't mention the turbo, implying you don't think it's a great option; what's your thinking on it? A friend has an NC with a turbo and he's had a lot of trouble getting it tuned. I'm looking for street power only, do not plan on track use. My engine still has low miles and I don't want to replace it for a 2.5.
Also, if it would help the effort to restock the MP62 kits, I (and possibly others) would be willing to make a sizeable deposit on one. Thanks for any info!
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Mike's kit is solid, but I reached out to him and sorry to say he reports at least the Fall before more can be made.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com