2018 OEM Tire Sensors and 2016 ND?

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
avera01

2018 OEM Tire Sensors and 2016 ND?

Post by avera01 »

Hi,

Is it possible to use the 2018 OEM tire sensors with the 2016 ND? Is this a more reliable and accurate system than currently employed on the 2016/17 ND's?

If upgrade is possible, what else is needed to updated the 2016's computer in order to read the sensors?

The reason I asked is the nature of the 2016 low tire indicator and lack of spare tire. I have been told it is an indirect measurement based on tire diameter and rotation sensed by the ABS brake system. Thus is can lead too false signal of low pressure.

There are several Bluetooth enabled sensors in the market, but they are highly questionable as to reliability and accuracy.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: 2018 OEM Tire Sensors and 2016 ND?

Post by Brian »

Nope, sensors from 2018 not compatible with the system in your 2016. Frankly, I really hate the in tire TPMS sensors. The system in 2016 tosses me a code now and then after a few hours of driving heat the tires a few PSI (or I put a set of autocross or track tires on at vastly different PSI) but I much prefer that to the balance issues that come with sensors in the tire and wish our new ND2 was still using the system in my 2016.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
KurtH460

Post by KurtH460 »

Side note to Brian,
Do you have a recommended tire pressure for pure street use if I'm running 17x8 6ULs with 245/40 Michelin PS4S on a 2017 Club. I'm currently running 30psi at all corners for a comfortable street ride (stock OEM calls for 29psi).
Any idea what the "code" limits are for these '16-'17 MX-5s? (+/- from 29psi. I imagine)
Tire pressure is probably a great subject for a dedicated thread, it can have implications on street, track, ride, comfort, etc!
Thanks, Kurt
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

No magic in the numbers, every choice is a trade-off but I have no issue going down to something like 27psi for best ride quality.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
KurtH460

Post by KurtH460 »

Thanks Brian!!
I wouldn't have thought to try under the OEM 29psi. I'm at 30psi now, which is low for me..I always set our NC at 32psi on stock size Continental Extreme DWs, which seemed a good compromise.
I'll probably start adjusting up/down on tire pressure once I get the car on some Ohlins CO (Street springs) this winter..will be able to dial them both in, along with more alignment ability, for best overall handling and comfort.

Thanks, Kurt
fl4ckon

Post by fl4ckon »

I noticed this note about the Advanti Storm wheels on the main wheel eshop page: "TPMS Sensors! The ND Miata uses NO in-wheel sensors for tire pressure until 2018 in the USA. We are told the new in wheel sensors do not fit Advanti Storm, customers will want to pick an aftermarket sensor for that wheel for 2018 and newer."

I haven't noticed this until now (didn't check the main wheel page previously and it's not mentioned on the individual Advanti Storm wheel page..) but I checked via email previously if the TPMS Sensor will fit (response was that it fits) but now I'm not sure it was meant for the Mazda's original TPMS.

Has anyone tried to use the Mazda's TPMS in Advanti Storm wheels (does size or width matters?) If it doesn't fit, do you have any recommendation on any specific aftermarket one you have good experience with?