Budget Street/Autocross/Track 2.5 NC Project!

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
LateNights

Re: Budget Street/Autocross/Track 2.5 NC Project!

Post by LateNights »

Brian wrote:Also still some debate in our team about whether we should just use a low cost coilover like so many customers start with, since that has some obvious advantages like allowing more height control, corner balance ability, etc. As always, will test in measure, will take the project to competitions and only go forward with what actually works and wins.
I'd be very interested to see you test the MeisterCRD coilovers at least - they look good on paper - but I'd be much happier hearing they had approval from Goodwin than anyone else in the Miata game!

Not at all certain if they're popular enough that it's worth it compared to other cheaper options, but they just might be the exact kind of comparison you'd want for the Koni set-up.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

LateNights wrote:
Brian wrote:Also still some debate in our team about whether we should just use a low cost coilover like so many customers start with, since that has some obvious advantages like allowing more height control, corner balance ability, etc. As always, will test in measure, will take the project to competitions and only go forward with what actually works and wins.
I'd be very interested to see you test the MeisterCRD coilovers at least - they look good on paper - but I'd be much happier hearing they had approval from Goodwin than anyone else in the Miata game!

Not at all certain if they're popular enough that it's worth it compared to other cheaper options, but they just might be the exact kind of comparison you'd want for the Koni set-up.

Yep, I didn't want to name MeisterCRD before late today when we wrapped up talks with them for testing on this project but that just happened and we will be testing BOTH their ZetaCRD and ClubRace coilovers in this project!

Since day one on this project the emails have been pouring in about us testing some low cost coilovers and this MeisterCRD brand has been named in about 80% of those requests, the overwhelming choice of the curious NC owners out there watching this project. So, we listened, we have been talking with them, and this week they agreed to have us test both these setups in the project.

In sum, we will start with higher rate RoadsterSport Springs getting designed this week on the KONI Sport shocks, see if we can get the win with that setup first. Then move to testing ZetaCRD in this project, answer the question again on whether we can get our Top Time of Day result with that setup, and see how much faster that gets us. Then load in their ClubRace setup and see how much further that takes us down the road in competitiveness. Excited to get this project racing.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Chuck H

Post by Chuck H »

Brian wrote:Don't bring up FM's efforts on NC anything unless you want laughter in reply, they have NEVER done a fast NC, don't have a clue. Nobody at FM races anything, particularly an NC, in contrast I set all the early NC track records and took home hundreds of top finishes in the NC over the last dozen years for both track and autocross events. FM has zero credibility on the topic of how to make an NC fast, because they have never done it.
Don't hold back now, how do you really feel??? :lol:

Just kidding. I agree -- they've been recycling NA/NB performance advice for years and making it seem like the NC is basically the same car, when it's really a whole different beast that needs a different setup.

Switching subject to my favorite topic, any sneak peaks of the RSIII muffler prototype, or are they still working on it?
2019 Arctic White RF GT-S
SmartTop, coilovers
MitchC635

Post by MitchC635 »

+1 on excited about seeing MeisterCRD budget coilovers vs quality spring with adjustable Koni.

Going back to the build list and budget for the initial build:

Since tires are considered consumables, would replacement of the stock clutch at 126k miles also be? Exedy Stock Replacement Kit $265; Exedy Stage 1 Heavy Duty Kit $348: Worth the $183 difference for expected around 200ft lbs of torque?

Do you utilize the same 'standard price of racing' philosophy for reqd safety equipment like roll bar and safety harnesses to keep them off the budget? No one would expect to see a helmet on the build list, but bolt-ons aren't as obvious.

Might be a chance to reasonably save on the budget by utilizing the CSF #7015 Miata MX5 Radiator at $329 vs GWR triple pass at $499. Both have B tube for better heat transfer and are 32mm thick core sized to fit stock opening. Triple pass configuration is better for max heat transfer, but the CSF should be reasonably close for 200HP reqts. Since the project is already against the stated budget limits, the downgrade to CSF radiator would offset the clutch upgrade. Is it worth the tradeoff?

Finally, is it worth adding a used NC2 or 3 coil harness to avoid “the dreaded coil wire failure that 2006 cars suffer too often”, or will you just chance it?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Chuck H wrote: Switching subject to my favorite topic, any sneak peaks of the RSIII muffler prototype, or are they still working on it?
Perhaps later today a pic, still working on potential alternative layouts.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

MitchC635 wrote:+1 on excited about seeing MeisterCRD budget coilovers vs quality spring with adjustable Koni.

Going back to the build list and budget for the initial build:

Since tires are considered consumables, would replacement of the stock clutch at 126k miles also be? Exedy Stock Replacement Kit $265; Exedy Stage 1 Heavy Duty Kit $348: Worth the $183 difference for expected around 200ft lbs of torque?

Do you utilize the same 'standard price of racing' philosophy for reqd safety equipment like roll bar and safety harnesses to keep them off the budget? No one would expect to see a helmet on the build list, but bolt-ons aren't as obvious.

Might be a chance to reasonably save on the budget by utilizing the CSF #7015 Miata MX5 Radiator at $329 vs GWR triple pass at $499. Both have B tube for better heat transfer and are 32mm thick core sized to fit stock opening. Triple pass configuration is better for max heat transfer, but the CSF should be reasonably close for 200HP reqts. Since the project is already against the stated budget limits, the downgrade to CSF radiator would offset the clutch upgrade. Is it worth the tradeoff?

Finally, is it worth adding a used NC2 or 3 coil harness to avoid “the dreaded coil wire failure that 2006 cars suffer too often”, or will you just chance it?
Time to search my junk pile. My first thought was indeed use triple pass but you helped me recall I have a used Ron Davis radiator that came out of higher power project in favor of the triple pass, also got a used Carbon/Carbon clutch that came out of another project. Similar thoughts on track day roll protection, we love our Blackbird bars but big money, our Harddog bar seems the natural budget choice, but still got last of the old and used AWR bars just sitting in my garage taking up space that costs us nothing.

Indeed will do nothing on wire harness and hope it holds, replace it if it fails as needed. Safety belts that clip into my 07 will clip into this car, I can only drive one car at a time anyway. Think I have beat and torn but functional Sparco seat we can re-purpose here too.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
LateNights

Post by LateNights »

:lol:

This is gonna end up as the "garage sale special", once you've finished tinkering and think about selling it!

Jokes aside - am I gonna look the bad guy for suggesting the budget is a placeholder until the car is finished - with this build being a proverbial "laboratory" for new parts it seems reasonable to hold the tally until the end result is known so everyone can see how, where & why the money was spent?

P.s big score with the Meister test deal - at least one of my crazy ideas had some merit 8)
DanielS172

Post by DanielS172 »

Darn it! I was going to suggest you try out a set of MeisterRs but you beat me to it! I'm really excited for this, especially considering I just bought a set myself :mrgreen:
2014 Club | OEM hardtop | GWR HH mid, FM muffler | ZetaCRD | Wilwood LBBK | Blackbird Fabworx GT3 roll bar | TRMotorsports FF10s
LateNights

Post by LateNights »

DanielS172 wrote:Darn it! I was going to suggest you try out a set of MeisterRs but you beat me to it! I'm really excited for this, especially considering I just bought a set myself :mrgreen:
Need to update your signature...

Congrats on the Meisters - from reading the posts over on miata.net it sounds as though he knows his stuff, and has had a fair bit of experience with the Nissan GTR & whatnot previously, so it wouldn't shock me if they're a decent little set of coilovers!

That said - I think he talks them up a little more than he should, but I'd gladly eat humble pie if they turn out as good as advertised.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

For Chuck.
Attachments
Resized_20181221_105515_3447.jpeg
Resized_20181221_143426_7453.jpeg
Resized_20181221_141109_4343.jpeg
Resized_20181221_092842_1692.jpeg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com