Budget Street/Autocross/Track 2.5 NC Project!

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Budget Street/Autocross/Track 2.5 NC Project!

Post by Brian »

bbwinterpeg wrote:
Brian wrote:A bit of fun here, working on new shift knob with a lot more heft to glide through the gates. Noticed stock knob on our Fiat 124 is well weighted and glides through gates of the NC sourced trans in that car and decided we would do something similar in aftermarket knob for everyone else. Prototypes here, one going in this car for driving fun with the new turbo. Like what you see?
Brian, I live in TX and was going to swap out my OEM knob (which gets scalding hot in the summer) for the Delrin knob. Will this new one be as cool in the sun?
No, the delrin is the cool choice.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Ryan @ GWR

Post by Ryan @ GWR »

Some sneak peeks... gotta have the safety equipment to back up the speed ;)
Blackbird Fabworx NC RZ roll bar in signature blue, and Blackbird Fabworx NC fire extinguisher bracket with Halotron extinguisher.
IMG_2249-X2.jpg
IMG_2253-X2.jpg
FFwizard

Post by FFwizard »

Did you get the electronics sorted out?
Ryan @ GWR

Post by Ryan @ GWR »

FFwizard wrote:Did you get the electronics sorted out?
To which electronics are you referring?
FFwizard

Post by FFwizard »

Ryan @ GWR wrote:
FFwizard wrote:Did you get the electronics sorted out?
To which electronics are you referring?
Whatever it was that kept the car from the autocross on Sat.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Among other things we discovered that not all GM 3 bar sensors are wired the same, sometimes the ground wire is in the center, sometimes not. We have been adding these GM 3 bar sensors for years to take over from the more limited range stock MAP sensor and the variety between these sensors alleged to be interchangeable has surprised me.

We were also trying a return setup on Fuel but had nothing but issues with that and retreated to stock fuel system with just the DW300 upgraded pump and big injectors and now fuel pressure is stable.

Car is now RUNNING! Back and forth on logs with Mike of XERO LIMIT. Mike has been our chief NC Tuner for many years, the tune in our Supercharged 07 for a decade is by Mike and it has proven super reliable and still makes over 300 hp.

Cool Blue new Blackbird Roll Protection Upgrade Too! First pic with the Singular Hood vents, but we didn't have time to install them, we borrowed the hood from the Supercharged 07 in effort to quickly get this car ready for track this weekend.
Attachments
TurboNC.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

All tuned up by Mike of XERO LIMIT...and ready for track day TOMORROW!
Attachments
TurboNCReady.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The good news from the big track at Willow Springs Raceway first test session of this kit on track: Ryan reports the tune is AWESOME and the POWER is AWESOME! He reports that he has video of blasting past Corvettes and various Porsche six figure machines during the first session at this very fast horsepower track.

The bad news is that valve cover is a bit too close to the turbo for constant boosted track use without a heat blanket inbetween. Result was a little melted hole in the valve cover, oil sprayed through the hole, and started burning. Ryan noticed the smoke immediately through the Singular hood vents, pulled over and grabbed the fire extinguisher we have mounted under the driver's legs. The only loss is the valve cover, the team has the MazdaSpeed Miata with them so they will take turns the rest of the day in the MSM. This is why we have a fire extinguisher handy to the driver!!! Ryan said things might have gone real bad without that fire extinguisher because the Corner worker was too busy with his own fire extinguisher trying to help a Corvette that had a big fire. Thanks to Moti and his excellent: Blackbird Fabworx Halotron Fire Extinguisher kit for NC, we just need to clean up and swap valve covers and add more thermal shielding.

When you are FIRST to really test stuff HARD, you learn hard lessons! We had already fit a TDR header blanket in there to product the ABS unit and brake lines. We will add or make a turbo blanket, grab a valve cover from the junkyard, and be back for more track testing soon.
Attachments
TurboTrackDay1.jpeg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
427danderson

Post by 427danderson »

I'll admit it I'm impressed at how quickly you guys are tracking this thing! Glad to hear things are getting sorted quickly...

Still curious about the oil cooler setup on this car... I know I'm going to need one but I'm hopeful to see what this kit might look like as a completed project... any guesses at an ETA?

Thanks as always guys!
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

We continue to test different configurations on the oil cooler, not clear yet when we get it done.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com