Budget Street/Autocross/Track 2.5 NC Project!

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Budget Street/Autocross/Track 2.5 NC Project!

Post by Brian »

jboemler wrote:Any problems due to the difference in number of teeth on the ABS wheel? Wondering if it could confuse ABS or speedo, maybe even change what gear the ECU thinks the car is in.
Not as reported by those who have done this before us, but we will post here any issue we run into in that regard.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Happy to see it all coming back together, one side is assembled with the beefier RX8 bits!
Attachments
RX8rearmod.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
FFwizard

Post by FFwizard »

I know you guys are good, but... don't forget to tighten the dif drain plug. :D Please don't ask me how I know. :(
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

IMSA and Continental series racers have different solutions to sensor issue with RX8 rear bits. Big thanks to Mike Allen for an education on the choices! In brief, simple answer is sleeve NC sensor into the bigger RX8 upright sensor hole, drill out sensor bracket hole for mounting sensor from 10mm to 12mm. As long as normal NC 'ice mode' issues with big tires don't bother you, that's it. This is the choice we are making here.

Option two for better ABS calibration for big tires (less ice mode) is convert entire car to RX8 ABS. Get ABS computer from base model junkyard RX8 without traction control, add matching front 04-08 RX8 hubs, rear RX8 bits as we have done here, and then you have complete RX8 ABS using the rear RX8 sensors we already have here, but you lose speedometer without some additional work.

Brian
Attachments
IMG_2106-L.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Ryan @ GWR

Post by Ryan @ GWR »

Looks what's arrived :)
IMG_2113-X2.jpg
Ryan @ GWR

Post by Ryan @ GWR »

Making progress! Here's where we left it last night. Things are coming together.
IMG_2129-X2.jpg
An update on turbo choice; for our power targets we know we want more than the 2860 can provide, so we discussed changing to a 30R, but during Fab9's test fit of the kit prior to sending to us they found that wouldn't fit so what we have here is a GT2871R. Garret rates this turbo for 280-475 HP on engines from 1.8L to 3.0L. With a 2.5L upwards of 300 whp, we should be right in the sweet spot with this turbo in terms of both spool and efficiency.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

A bit of fun here, working on new shift knob with a lot more heft to glide through the gates. Noticed stock knob on our Fiat 124 is well weighted and glides through gates of the NC sourced trans in that car and decided we would do something similar in aftermarket knob for everyone else. Prototypes here, one going in this car for driving fun with the new turbo. Like what you see?
Attachments
RoadsterSportBigKnob.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
427danderson

Post by 427danderson »

I cannot wait to see how this new turbo shakes down at the track! I went with the OTHER Fab9 turbo kit but love what you guys are doing with this one...

Please post pics of the shift knob installed when available. I am on the interested list, simplicity is KEY to this type of modification in my opinion.
Ryan @ GWR

Post by Ryan @ GWR »

Turbo kit install is coming along fast. Slightly delirious from lack of sleep :lol:

Lots of little details but we're working through it. Should be rolling and doing some initial tuning later this weekend.
Adjustments-L.jpg
IMG_2150-X2.jpg
IMG_2155-X2.jpg
IMG_2174-L.jpg
bbwinterpeg

Post by bbwinterpeg »

Brian wrote:A bit of fun here, working on new shift knob with a lot more heft to glide through the gates. Noticed stock knob on our Fiat 124 is well weighted and glides through gates of the NC sourced trans in that car and decided we would do something similar in aftermarket knob for everyone else. Prototypes here, one going in this car for driving fun with the new turbo. Like what you see?
Brian, I live in TX and was going to swap out my OEM knob (which gets scalding hot in the summer) for the Delrin knob. Will this new one be as cool in the sun?