Thoughts on NC Track/Autocross Setup Before Buying

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Thoughts on NC Track/Autocross Setup Before Buying

Post by Brian »

Yes, same spring rates track and autocross for us. Ideally, smoother tracks like higher rates. We have a mix of busted up surface tracks (Willow Springs) and fresh new tracks (Chuckwalla), so we keep compromise spring rates in the car that work at both.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
JayLauer

Post by JayLauer »

Hey Brian, I ended buying some Ohlins DFV after seeing ClubRaces were on backorder. With the Progress sways, what would be your recommendation on sway bar settings and alignment settings. Not a DD, probably 10 to 15 autox events and 5-10 track days each year.

Still running FD RX7 wheels for the time being and 225/50R16 RE71's. Will get 17x9 RPF1s for next season. Thanks!
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Go max negative camber as your priority. That max will depend a lot on heights, so I cannot give you precise numbers. But in a perfect world we like to deal with the fact that rear of NC has better camber curve with multi-link by taking more front camber than rear. So, something like this:

FRONT Camber -2.5
TOE ZERO
Caster 6.5

REAR Camber -2.1
TOE IN 1/32 per side

For a more dedicated autocross car we toe out the front, but for track we usually toe zero, so much there depends on priority in your mix of events. If you can get -2.8 at the front, by all means take that, and scale the rear accordingly (like -2.3 at the rear). On our NC we use offset bushings (see on our site) to get even more at the front, one of our NC is -3.2 front, the other is -3.0 front and for each we scale the rear down about half a degree (-2.8 to -2.5). And we have customers racing seriously with -4 camber at the front, so my numbers may appear extreme until you consider many are well beyond ours for race use.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com