Thoughts on NC Track/Autocross Setup Before Buying

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
JayLauer

Thoughts on NC Track/Autocross Setup Before Buying

Post by JayLauer »

Hi everyone,

I bought a cheap 07 NC1 I'm looking to build on much like the Good-Win Racing Budget Racer. It's going to be a weekend driver that sees autocrosses and track nights as frequently as I can. That said, I'd like it to be tolerable from the 150 mile trip to the track and for weekend trips to the Ozark mountains.

Here's my car and parts list:

2007 Mazda MX-5 Grand Touring 6-Speed
Factory LSD

Meister CRD Coilovers
Progress Front/Rear Sway Bars
Whiteline End Links

ND RX7 16x8 Wheels
225/50R16 Hankook RE71's

CSF Radiator (Good-Win Triple Pass if available)
Aluminum Coolant Expansion Tank
Silicone Hoses

Stock Rotors
Hawk HP+ Pads
Motul 600 Fluid

HardDog RollBar
Garage Vary Style Polyurethane Lip
Delrin Door Bushings

Over the winter, I'd like to do the 2.5 swap and update the clutch and go through all the "while you're there's"

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Thoughts on NC Track/Autocross Setup Before Buying

Post by Brian »

That's a good list. The 16 inch wheel combo is a bit soft/slow for autocross but if trying to keep the daily comfort there then I understand that choice. We put the 16 inch on for daily comfort, the 17x10 for autocross days, but I get that not everyone feels like changing wheels/tires for every event.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
JayLauer

Post by JayLauer »

Gotcha. I initially planned on getting RPF1's in 17x9 but found the rx7 wheels on CL for cheap. I'm still open to getting the 17s may just do it after running a season on the 16s.

Is it slower because of the larger sidewall tires? The unreinforced FD RX7s are a pretty light wheel.

Also forgot to mention will pick up an NC2 oil cooler so I don't toast my engine.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

JayLauer wrote:Gotcha. I initially planned on getting RPF1's in 17x9 but found the rx7 wheels on CL for cheap. I'm still open to getting the 17s may just do it after running a season on the 16s.

Is it slower because of the larger sidewall tires? The unreinforced FD RX7s are a pretty light wheel.

Also forgot to mention will pick up an NC2 oil cooler so I don't toast my engine.
The 17x9 is several seconds per lap faster than 16x8, all other things equal. It's indeed that taller sidewall limiting contact stability for the 16 as compared to 17, and the 17x9 is an extra inch wider for even more stable sidewall and contact patch.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
JayLauer

Post by JayLauer »

Hey Brian,

What would your opinion be on moving up to the Meister ClubRace & Progress sways instead of CRDs? Still running 16x8 FD wheels right now but probably picking up some 17x9 RPF1's for next season. I've read the ride is similar, so the extra spring rate for an extra $200 makes sense to me. This car won't be a daily. Weekend fun, autox/track.

Thanks!
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I think my comments are in the product description to effect that I much prefer the ClubRace. I swear the ClubRace ride better despite higher spring rates, and handle a lot better. Thus I think CRD fine for street projects but any autocross and track plans means the ClubRace is well worth the slight increase in costs.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
JayLauer

Post by JayLauer »

Awesome glad to hear. Well when ClubRace come back available I'll be picking them up. Thanks!
474motorsport

Post by 474motorsport »

Hi Bryan

I'm also interested in this topic and like the (budget NC) build .
I'm about to build a track NC so have been doing my homework before starting. Ordered some progress sway bars this week from you guys.
I'm wanting to stay away from bolt on flares if I can do .
My car will be mostly used for track work .
Possibly the odd hill climb.
We don't really have autocross courses here that often so really after track setup for most.
You guys run 10" 255 on auto cross course. What do you find the best setup for track? Also spring weight of 10/6 still your choice for track or does that change also.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The slower the track, the more the 17x10 pays over 17x9, and autocross is really just an extra tight/slow track. At higher speed venues the 17x10 is certainly easy to drive but the aero 'pig' nature of the NC really starts to work against us and extra wide tire package is part of that lack of aero efficiency. The NC frontal area is pushing a lot of air, wide tire package ends up pushing a lot of air, higher rolling resistance, etc. Bottom line is that for higher speed tracks it's more of a toss up between 17x9 and 235/40 tire instead of 17x10 and 255/40 (less drag at high speed and gearing advantage of the shorter/narrower combo vs mid corner ultimate grip of the wider combo). Most of our tracks are tight here (Chuckwalla, Streets of Willow Springs), so on balance I prefer the 17x10 combo.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
474motorsport

Post by 474motorsport »

Thanks for that information Brain it makes sense to me.
The track nearby to me is a tight technical track (Levels raceway New Zealand) .

I'm taking it from your comment that you keep spring rate pretty similar on those tracks to the autocross?

I'm probably leaning towards getting BC coil overs as they are readily available here in New Zealand. The ZR model is a 3way
Kit for under 3k nzd which is around 1700usd

https://bcracing.com.au/zr-series