124 Abarth Exhaust Options - Questions

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
68wooley

124 Abarth Exhaust Options - Questions

Post by 68wooley »

So after listening to various exhaust options at FIAT in the Rockies a couple of weeks ago, I really want to upgrade the exhaust on my 2017 124 Abarth.

My main driver is to improve spool up time - I drove a couple of cars with full Roadstersport set-ups including the crosspipe and they did spool noticeably quicker than my car. The added noise was fun too, however I really don't want to go too loud - my better half will have a pretty low tolerance threshold for additional noise.

So, questions:

Firstly, between, a Roadstersport with resonator and crosspipe, and System One with crosspipe and the resonator in place, which is going to be quieter?

Secondly, how much of a difference in noise level do the glass baffles make with the Rodstersport? I know I'd need to drill the Abarth quad tips to fit them.

Third, could the stock Abarth axle back muffler mate up to the Roadstersport midpipe? I'm thinking that might be possible given the Roadstersport axle back mates to the stock midpipe. If that were possible, swapping the stock muffler on might be an option for date nights / road trips with my better half.

Cheers,
Graeme.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: 124 Abarth Exhaust Options - Questions

Post by Brian »

No, stock muffler will not work with the Roadstersport bits upstream, and that's a mess you don't want to make because stock muffler pipe smaller and that muffler doesn't flow near as well.

The RoadsterSPort setup with resonator and System One with resonator are similar on sound, with one big exception, the System One has an additional resonator that is the Helmholtz chamber and that brings down standing wave resonance a lot (what we commonly call drone). Thus, System One with optional resonator installed plus the helmholtz is overall a bit more quiet.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Khowell

Post by Khowell »

Brian,
Looking to purchase 124 Classica. Wife doesn’t want loud car, but I want exhaust upgrade to increase turbo response and sound better than stock setup. Wife okay with stock Abarth sound but can’t go too much louder, like the Record Monza exhaust. What do you suggest? I thought you may have suggested two resonators in another post somewhere.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Stock Abarth is pretty loud, I don't think our RoadsterSport with resonator, or System One with resonator added are any louder than stock Abarth. And cruising down the freeway the System One with resonator added plus the fixed Helmholtz resonator included is my favorite currently.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Khowell

Post by Khowell »

You also recommend an upgraded diverter valve. How hard is this to install? - I typically don’t work on cars or engines. Would most mechanics be able to do this replacement? I doubt the local FIAT dealer would want to swap out their stock part for the DV+.
Thanks.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Khowell wrote:You also recommend an upgraded diverter valve. How hard is this to install? - I typically don’t work on cars or engines. Would most mechanics be able to do this replacement? I doubt the local FIAT dealer would want to swap out their stock part for the DV+.
Thanks.
Yes, small item in tight space, good shadetree mechanic can certainly do it but most folks best off having shop do it.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com