LFX into an NC questions.

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
GlennR342

LFX into an NC questions.

Post by GlennR342 »

Hi guys.
I'm looking at building a track day racecar using an NC.
I'd like to go down the LFX swap route but have some questions.
Does the NC require a new subframe for the swap? I looked around and saw an rx8 swap that appears to keep the mazda subframe?
Looking to keep costs down I'd like to keep the mazda dash and instruments if possible.. Are all the gauges Can based or will I need to double up some sensors?
I'd like to keep ABS as we race a winter series which is often wet races. Can I keep the Mx5 abs unit or do I need to swap to the rx8 non dsc unit? Do Mx5 abs sensors work with the rx8 hubs/unit?
Any other nc specific advise for this sort of project?
Brian
Site Admin

Re: LFX into an NC questions.

Post by Brian »

Not a swap we have done, but there are threads at Miata.net forum
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Ryan @ GWR

Post by Ryan @ GWR »

An LFX NC would be sweeeeet!

Obviously, calling V8Roadsters is your quick way to answer a lot of those detailed compatibility questions. I'm not 100% sure about the subframe, but V8R's site looks like they have a 'builder's kit' that does not involve a subframe, which leads one to assume it might work with the factory subframe... I would imagine you could can keep the ABS with a little creativity. The gauges are tricky. I know V8R's been working on some solutions there, ask them if they have that sorted out.

Yes, RX8 hubs work with MX5 ABS sensors. We sell the RX8 hubs as a beefier upgrade to the MX5 units and the ABS remains functional.
DaleW052

Post by DaleW052 »

I used a set of OEM subframes in my LFX swap. It does require cutting and welding to provide clearance for the oil pan. That said, If I were to do it again, I would use V8Roadsters tubular front subframe replacement. It provides loads more clearance and easier access after installation.
DaleW052

Post by DaleW052 »

Just noticed you had some additional questions.

I was able to retain the ABS and OEM gauges in my swap. Again go to V8Roadsters instrument section and check out the gateway that connects the GMLAN to the Mazda CANBUS. I needed it to retain the ABS and PRHT functions as well as the OEM instrument panel.

Others have maintained the ABS function by retaining the Mazda PCM installation without connecting it to an engine, though I have no first hand experience with this setup. Still others have swapped RX8 ABS control modules.

Other than a peculiar exhaust setup, my 2011 Touring PRHT looks completely stock.

One advantage in using an NC host is that no firewall cutting and welding is required.