NC oil starvation?

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Grant

NC oil starvation?

Post by Grant »

Have you guys encountered oil starvation on NCs? Do you know if anyone makes a bolt-in pan baffle?

I was surprised to see a little on 255 R-S4s, albeit in an extremely light NC. I posted an image of my logs here:
https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.p ... ost9678148

Thanks.
Attachments
nc_oil_starvation.jpg
Brian
Site Admin

Re: NC oil starvation?

Post by Brian »

We just overfill a good half quart for track days.

In the past we have done a lot more exotic, built two NC with dry sump motors and big tanks of oil in the trunk (that's what you see below). Note battery in trunk too, not because it saves weight (which it does not) but for better distribution of weight given my 200 pounds in the driver's corner).
Turbo NC_SUMP.jpg
Turbo NC_SUMP.jpg (75.26 KiB) Viewed 6207 times
Turbo NC.jpg
Turbo NC.jpg (109.7 KiB) Viewed 6207 times
But that was big money and ultimately unnecessary if we just overfill half a quart. Our Supercharged 07 below at Laguna Seca laying down 1:38 lap times in traffic with passenger on Yoko A052 265mm wide tires and the motor has been in that car for a decade with no issues and no dry sump. We have run that car with up to 295mm Hoosiers and still no real issue with oil.
LS-Super.jpg
But for fun, one of our more extreme dry sump NC builds from a decade ago:
NCE6.JPG
NCE6.JPG (148.13 KiB) Viewed 6207 times
NCE.JPG
NCE.JPG (135.4 KiB) Viewed 6207 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Grant

Post by Grant »

Thanks! We'll log with a half quart over next time, but it sounds like we won't have any issues. We're looking at testing on Rival 1.5 Ses, A052s or RE71Rs next.

I'm guessing the 2.0 is better in this regard? From the pics I've seen the 2.5s don't have a bolt-in splash guard covering the oil pickup, while the 2.0s do.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Part of getting 2.5 in the NC means using 2.0 oil pan anyway. And with that conversion the normal dipstick at normal full reads low on the stick. So, the irony here is that if we ignore that and fill the dipstick to middle of the marks then that's half a quart extra already.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com