ND Transmission Longevity

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
BillK336

ND Transmission Longevity

Post by BillK336 »

My '16 just passed 28000 miles, with the only trans issue being an occasional reluctance to get into third.
99% street driven, AX rarely.
Mild Versatune, GWR Race, Konis, 300/200 springs.
Powertrain warranty will be up in September.
Is there any advice on reducing the chances of transmission failure?
Oil? Hardened studs? Engine mounts? Differential mounts?
Trade in on an NC?
2020 JBM Sport MT, GWR RaceTT, Conti DWS, Cobalt FSTB, Voodoo, Cravenspeed, and mx5things bits…
RIP '16 MG Club GWR, Race TT, Versatune, RS Springs & Konis, Conti ECS, TRM FF10, AA & AIO, etc...
'97's SOLD...
Brian
Site Admin

Re: ND Transmission Longevity

Post by Brian »

To help that trans live longer consider Motul 75-140 fluid. That's what our transmission builder recommends, that's what got our old NC 5speed with 130,000 miles on it to live through our big weekend at COTA.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Albert Flasher

Post by Albert Flasher »

Thanks for the question Bill...I see your list of mods and am wondering how much the tune and exhaust have helped in the performance department? I have an 18 Club RF with BBS Package and am looking to get it to be like a 19. The guys at Flying Miata told me to trade it in for a 19! Nothing doing...it's another $10K to get the car I have in a 2019!
2018 RF Club with BBS Package in Machine Gray
BillK336

Post by BillK336 »

The tune is noticeable but not fantastic, although it seems to benefit the Race more than the SQST.
My current tune gets up to 7200 rpm, and it feels as if it's still pulling a bit with the Race, less so with the SQST.
The tune is one of the four standard tunes that came with the Versatuner kit.
2020 JBM Sport MT, GWR RaceTT, Conti DWS, Cobalt FSTB, Voodoo, Cravenspeed, and mx5things bits…
RIP '16 MG Club GWR, Race TT, Versatune, RS Springs & Konis, Conti ECS, TRM FF10, AA & AIO, etc...
'97's SOLD...
Albert Flasher

Post by Albert Flasher »

I appreciate the reply! I drove a 2019 right before I made the deal on my 2018 and the main difference is the '19 pulls all the way to 7500 really well while the power in the '18 really dies off after 6800 RPM. But a 2019 RF Club with BBS Package was pricing out at $38,000! I picked up my 2018, with only 8,300 miles on it, for $25,900.00.

I'm looking to have it make more HP and Torque, like the '19 without making it obnoxiously noisy and still reliable. I was looking at headers and an exhaust, until I was told it's against Federal Law to remove the stock catalytic converter, which is in the stock header. I'm going to ask around at some shops here in Northern Nevada to find out what I really can or cannot do.
2018 RF Club with BBS Package in Machine Gray
BillK336

Post by BillK336 »

There are two cats, one in the header, and one in the midpipe. You might be able to get rid of one without getting dinged.

I expect Nevada is more flexible than say, California, in what you can do.

I don't think I'd add a midpipe or especially a header to my Race, that'd be way too loud.
My SQST, maybe a midpipe... maybe.
A header would require a matching axelback, and, IMO, a midpipe for full benefit.

Browse through this forum and miata.net.
As for tuning, I noticed Fab9 now uses the Versatune software, so there are some choices there. And there's also Open Flash Tuning, which uses a separate dedicated tablet.

It's possible Brian may have some thoughts on this matter...
'97's SOLD...