Ohlins NC rear spring preload

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
saboteur

Ohlins NC rear spring preload

Post by saboteur »

Hi,

I noticed the install PDF on the Ohlins site recommends 2mm of preload, but I have seen much discussion around this on a few of the MX-5 forums around hitting bump stops easily at this setting.

What's the consensus these days for a new install?

Thank you
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Ohlins NC rear spring preload

Post by Brian »

You need enough to prevent springs from unloading from perch during aggressive driving and making noise. Given that some folks drive MUCH more aggressive than others, the right amount of preload has some variation person to person. You don't want too much preload, because it 'jacks' the spring rates effectively higher (reducing ride quality).
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
saboteur

Post by saboteur »

Thanks Brian, I guess I’ll start with the recommended 2mm and adjust from there if I feel the need to!

Cheers
colt45

Post by colt45 »

I drive my Miata like my Ducati Superbike.

I run 50N rear springs with 12mm of preload (and almost all of the rebound damping the rear shocks have). I get little bottoming, probably none. I did this because I DID get a lot of strikes on the bumpstops and it really upset the car on one of the on-ramps I use every few days. It also lets me run ~13.75" ride height that further reduces bottoming because I have more compression travel. The stiffer springs did not change the ride comfort, that I can remember (it's been about 8 years), other than stopping the harsh jolt when the suspension ran out of travel.

Were I you, and I had 40 Newton, stock, springs, I'd set the preload at 15mm and adjust the ride height back to what ever you like. If you have the Sport Suspension option, you may want to switch the the 11mm base suspension rear stabilizer bar. Or, maybe switch the smallest RX-8 front bar.
Chatanooga
'06 Sport 6MT Ohlins 70N/50N
IBA/COG