Nd1 Exhaust Question

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
LanceL648

Nd1 Exhaust Question

Post by LanceL648 »

Whats going on! My first post. I have a 2017 ND Miata Club with 6mt. I have your Standard Length Header on its way to me from you guys, and I have the Roadstersport 304 stainless catted Mid-pipe from you (Second hand) from another Miata.net member. I have a straight through custom mandrel bends 2.5" muffler section, which has effectively 2 resonators in the pipes' bends back there, But it was getting loud with the cat delete I had already on the factory midpipe, and so for top up North East winter driving I didn't want to hold back the exhaust with the factory ND1 stock muffler on there. I purchased Used a 2019 Stock Muffler which we have seen cross sections of it, it has better flow (How much better IDK). But it feels alright and its' quiet for the winter.

My question is, do you think I 'll be killing the benefits of the Header and the Mid-pipe with a 2019 Factory Muffler during the winter?

Also it might help to note, that I'm on E85 with OFT, but I am awaiting Versatune from Fab9 and likewise might be doing E85, but definately a tuned 93 Oct for the winter likely.

Any and all thoughts appreciated.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Nd1 Exhaust Question

Post by Brian »

Factory ND muffler flows a lot better than factory NC did, you give up a bit but just a bit, and the slight loss is high rpms where you may not even notice.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
LanceL648

Post by LanceL648 »

Thanks for your response. While its good to know that they flow better than NC Mufflers, It's also good that the winter is only 1 season!

Thanks again for the input. I'll be installing the header and pipe together next week when it all gets here.

Tuning swap out from OFT to Versatune Fab9 is in the works...
LanceL648

Post by LanceL648 »

You mentioned that the Nd flows better than Nc factory muffler design. If I'm not mistaken, you guys were the first to cut open a ND1 Muffler to see a cross section or an aerial overview. When compared to the 2019-2021 ND2 rear mufflers which have been slightly redesigned, what is your take since you are a premier exhaust manufacturer.

https://forum.miata.net/vb/showpost.php ... stcount=37

I have been put to notice that there is a debate that the ND1 2016-2018 flowed better... I doubt this is the case based on the pictures side by side of them both. But I figured I would pick your brain, which stock ND1 vs ND2 flows better in your professional opinion?

Lastly, I'm sorry to even toss up the idea of stock anything to an aftermarket performance company such as yourselves, but I do have to drive in the winter with the top closed and the drone from any straight through design is killer and i think that this is a good way to mitigate all crazy headaches on my occasional 1.5 hr each way commute to work. (If I take the miata)
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

From what I can see, ND2 flows better but that's pure guess without actually bench flow testing both....and from that Mazda provided schematic there is lots of innards that we cannot see at the end toward the tips of that ND2 muffler, might be restrictions in that region of the muffler we cannot see and perhaps Mazda didn't want us to see with this perspective. So the best we can say today is that from the perspective Mazda provided it looks to me that ND2 is less restrictive.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
LanceL648

Post by LanceL648 »

I just installed your Header Standard Length Max torque and the Roadster sport Max Mid Pipe. Now with all of that being capped with the 2019 factory muffler (muffled..) during the winter... But with the top up it is so liveable, NO DRONE! I'll crack out the custom 2.5 in striaght through with the dual resonators in it for the other 3 season top down.. but for now it has to do.

I have a question about E85 tuning vs. 93 Octane and these exhausts. What is your opinion on either fuel option. And do you have a favorite tuning product?

I have both the OpenFlash Performance Tablet, and Versatune Fab9 Tune. I'm working with Fab9 since OFP is not very responsive to corrective tuning the Miata community anymore as they have started working on other car platforms, so OFT has set it and forget it OTS files, while Fab9 tuning is working on my E85 map as we speak.

I just figured I'd ask the builders of the exhaust! Thanks in advance. I understand if some tuning options are not SCCA legal ect, but I do not compete so to me that part is irrelevent.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I am a big fan of E85 when available, you can push so much more timing advance....and that makes the car feel so much more lively. My suggestion is the Fab9 E85 map. Let us know how that works out.

Brian
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
LanceL648

Post by LanceL648 »

Thanks for the advice. I'm working with Bryan at Fab9 to dial in my tune as we speak on E85. Oft actually felt better OTS E85 tune with the exhaust, but Bryan is confident he can make some worthwhile changes.

Thanks
LanceL648

Post by LanceL648 »

Brian wrote:I am a big fan of E85 when available, you can push so much more timing advance....and that makes the car feel so much more lively. My suggestion is the Fab9 E85 map. Let us know how that works out.

Brian

It is working out GREAT! Bryan from Fab9 tuning is an ace! His support, and responses are quick. His advice and tweaks fitted the bill! I did a comparison from OFT w/ E85 Vs. Fab9 N1 Tune E85 , both were on my car, and Bryan gave support, tweaked it so that it definitely was safe, and made more power on the Virtual Dyno program when compared to OFT. Butt Dyno / Feel is great throughout the RPM range in comparison to as well.
I'm Sold on his tuning abilities, capabilities, and long standing knowledge of the Miata ECU platform that I'm sticking with them. OFT was sold to another member / friend of mine who is not so computer savvy and does not have a Laptop The OFT works for him also as he has the ND2 and the VersaTune platform is not supported quite yet.

But Yeah, I'm very happy with the car. Dare I say it is reminiscent of the S2000 the way the car pulls up top. Actually it has always felt better down low the ND, but now it can hold it's own in the top end of the rev range, shift and just keep pulling
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Glad to hear it, nicely done and thanks for posting the feedback.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com