F1 Racing Clutch - Installation Woes

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
BrianK533

F1 Racing Clutch - Installation Woes

Post by BrianK533 »

Hi all, posting to try to get some insight from anyone else who may be running this clutch. I finished up the install, and the clutch is not disengaging all the way. The disc is installed in the correct orientation with the protruding part facing the transmission, and the master & slave cylinders are brand new. Also running a braided steel line to replace the rubber and coiled lines. With the car on jackstands and the e-brake off, the car will go into gear but the wheels will spin. I’ve already adjusted the MC at the clutch pedal, and still not getting enough travel to disengage the clutch all the way.

Anyone else have similar issues, or have any suggestions before I drop the trans again?

Thanks!
Brian
Site Admin

Re: F1 Racing Clutch - Installation Woes

Post by Brian »

Give us a call and talk with Greg and he can get the thoughts of head mechanic Rocky on this question.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Greg @ GWR

Re: F1 Racing Clutch - Installation Woes

Post by Greg @ GWR »

Greg here, and I've spoke to Rocky about your install. We want to be certain the clutch is disengaging. You will want to set the car on the ground. With the car running and the clutch depressed, will it go into gear? Can you change into another gear? When you let off the pedal does the car move/stall? If it goes into gear and can change gears and moves or stalls if the brake is on, then the clutch is disengaging. With the car running and the clutch depressed, if there are issues getting the transmission into gear or won't go into gear, then the clutch isn't disengaging. Most of the time when there has been a new install involving new MC and slave cylinders it's a case of the system needs to bled some more. I've seen it take several tries to get all the air out of a new slave cylinder.
The F1 clutch also doesn't have the same release point as the OEM clutch. Most aftermarket clutches have release points that are just off the floor, especially any stage1 or higher performance clutches.
We would bleed the system again before pulling the clutch.
The Only Speed is Mazdaspeed