RoadsterSport MX5 STREET Header CEL and other questions

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
geneius811

RoadsterSport MX5 STREET Header CEL and other questions

Post by geneius811 »

Hi Guys,

So i just installed the RoadsterSport MX5 STREET Header on my 2006 MX5. Is it normal to see smoke out of the engine bay and where the midpipe meets the headers? Also, after turning on my car, and letting it run, i turned it off, moved my car in the drive and drove it and a CEL popped up. the code was a P0031 for both O2 sensors. I was wondering if it's because the Catalytic Converter is new and the O2 sensors are trying to adjust themselves. Hopefully someone can give me a bit of a clear conscious before I start buy new O2 sensors.
Greg @ GWR

Re: RoadsterSport MX5 STREET Header CEL and other questions

Post by Greg @ GWR »

The smoke is the oil used during the manufacturing process burning off. There may even be a little leftover polishing compound burning off. No worries.
The P0031 code is for the first O2 sensor. It is say "faulty heater circuit:" which basically means it isn't working. Try a couple of fixes before replacing - be sure the plugs are fully connected. It may have felt like the connectors were plugged together, but please be sure it has clicked when connected. Also, the sensor may not have been fully installed. If it isn't screwed down completely into the bung it may not be properly reading the exhaust. Check the wiring, you may have broken a wire.
If you get a P0038 code, that is for the rear sensor.
The Only Speed is Mazdaspeed
MattB310

Post by MattB310 »

was recently considering this header as well. Im curious about the non carb cat converter. It sounds like for California at least this will visually pass and doesn’t typically store faults so it “should” pass smog so long as no one is looking too hard?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

MattB310 wrote:was recently considering this header as well. Im curious about the non carb cat converter. It sounds like for California at least this will visually pass and doesn’t typically store faults so it “should” pass smog so long as no one is looking too hard?
Before you get too much into the details note that we cannot ship anything that requires CARB to a California address.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
MattB310

Post by MattB310 »

Lol im in LA so thats just an excuse for me to stop off at Phils bbq in San Diego before heading home :mrgreen:
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

MattB310 wrote:Lol im in LA so thats just an excuse for me to stop off at Phils bbq in San Diego before heading home :mrgreen:
Love Phils...but none of that Non-CARB stuff is in San Diego.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com