ND Steering in GT RF - first impressions

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.

ND Steering in GT RF - first impressions

Postby SeanM476 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:33 pm

So I’m on my first full day of driving my 2019 GT RF. My first time ever driving a Miata. I’m 10 years rusty on driving a manual, but this car is very forgiving. So far I’m having fun.

So the steering in this car is very curious. I come from driving hot hatches and other European cars recently but before that it was old American rear wheel drive v-8s. I had everything checked out on the car, so it’s not an alignment issue as far as I know. The car doesn’t seem to have a smooth flow to it when it comes to keeping on a line. You have to force it to go where you want. You can definitely feel the front end is there and it is what I would call a darting type of steering. I guess the lack of weight of the car matters here. Is this normal and is there something I can do via suspension upgrade or manipulation or is it something I will have to get used to?
SeanM476

Re: ND Steering in GT RF - first impressions

Postby Brian » Sun May 01, 2022 4:47 am

I think you are saying the steering is very light on feel, and indeed the electric assist is very light and takes some time to get accustomed to....but you will get accustomed to it. I still notice how light it is when I jump back and forth between current and prior generations (or one of our trucks), but you will quickly get accustomed to it.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Postby SeanM476 » Sun May 01, 2022 10:04 am

Ok, I can accept that. I’ve had hydraulic steering in most of my cars and this steering seems way too easy in terms of effort. I’m used to heavy steering and this car feels like I’m steering in a video game. It’s crazy how it’s like a point and click experience. I turn and it just goes immediately. It’s not as intuitive as hydraulic and so you have to force yourself to think about input more often. Something to get used to. This car almost would be better with no power steering at all, but I’ve owned those and they are not fun in a parking lot. I had a ‘72 Beetle.

I would liken this to cart racing steering if you’ve ever done it. Little inputs lead to large changes.
SeanM476

Postby BillK336 » Mon May 02, 2022 12:43 pm

So, what are your alignment numbers?
'16 MG Club GWR SSQST (or Race TT), Versatune, RS Springs & Konis, Conti ECS, TRM FF10, MC update with AA & AIO, etc...
'97's SOLD...
BillK336

Postby SeanM476 » Mon May 02, 2022 5:33 pm

Not sure I’ll have to grab them. I had them do a full inspection and that was something they cleared.
SeanM476

Postby SeanM476 » Mon May 02, 2022 9:46 pm

BillK336 wrote:So, what are your alignment numbers?

So no numbers, just that it was checked during inspection. It doesn’t pull, it tracks straight. I just have to get used to the light feel. I plan on tire replacement in the next 5000 miles, so I’ll have it checked then or earlier if I get sways and springs. I did my first run through Highland Valley Road, if you know San Diego. I only live a mile from where it starts. I had no issues with steering under high speed slaloming, just general issues with city driving. The car goes where my eyes go sooner than I expect and there isn’t much road feel. Great for bumpy roads, just bad for road connection at slower speeds.

On another note, my first time on a twisty road with some switchbacks and positive and negative g turns and I was laughing out loud excited. Like a ride on a roller coaster. I loved every second. My best decision about a vehicle since my first Ducati track day. I love it!
SeanM476

Postby Brian » Thu May 05, 2022 4:36 am

With some play in the caster numbers we have some influence on the 'weight' of the steering, but the electric assist is still super light in a way that prior generations with hydraulic are not. I didn't like it at first, can't say that I have ever come to like it, but I got accustomed enough to it.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Return to Mazda Miata and Fiat 124