Reliability of an BRP M62 for track days

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
tomfree

Reliability of an BRP M62 for track days

Post by tomfree »

I've been doing track days/HPDEs with my '91 for the last few years, and as with most Miata's, it's darn near bulletproof. My most substantial failure was at the last school when connector to my RX-7 AFM came unplugged in mid session. In all, the car is wonderful to drive - very neutral and very entertaining in the twisties. Being a 1.6, it does lack a bit in the power department.

I'd like to add some more power to the mix, and the BRP M62 kit is a strong contender. I know the former Goodwin NB track car had an M62, and I'm sure there are several others on this list who track M62 cars. I'd love your feedback on reliability/drivability on your M62 track cars. I am aware, of course, that with any significant power upgrade it's not reasonable to expect "from the factory" reliability under extreme conditions like track time. I'm also painfully aware that there is no BRP kit for the 1.6. I'd likely de-mod my '91 and pickup a '99 if I choose to pull the trigger on the upgrade.

Thanks in advance!
Tom Freeman
'04 RX-8
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Hi Tom,

The 62 cubic in blower (we sell as the JR MonsterCharger but its the BR Kit) was never a problem. Took it to the track at least twice a month. The original version of the mounting brackets were not quite as stout and I did have one crack on a track day. But, it did not strand the car...I finished the day driving it hard and upgraded to the newest version of the brackets and perfect ever since.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com