Ticking

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
fmattitude

Ticking

Post by fmattitude »

Hi sorry I forgot to login, so this message is here twice....oops. won't happen again.

Bought a 96 Miata a couple of months back. Very happy with it. Couple of minor things have changed so far, like new wheels and tires, as the previous owner had THREE different makes of tires on there of differing ages.
Anyway. moving along. Took it for a drive yesterday out and about exploring San Diego, came home, parked it in the driveway and while it was idling I was hearing a ticking noise from the engine.
This morning ticking noise is still there. Any ideas? It still drives fine, although today I only drove it to the carwash and back, but the ticking is concerning me, and I don't particularly want to move it again til I've found out a bit more about it or how to stop it.
Anyone?
Appreciate all help
Michael
Michael Pearson-Adams
gomezmusic.com
San Diego
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Sounds like lifter chatter....common issue. Do some searching in the forum at Miata.net and you will see days and days worth of threads to read on this issue and the solutions folks have come across. Solutions have included cleaning out deposits, going to a different weight of oil, having the valves adjusted, etc...

Other potential sources if it is not the valve tick include arcing from old plug wires and ping. Make sure you have fresh plugs and wires...the Miata is very hard on plugs and particularly wires so if they have not been changed in a year they should be.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
fmattitude

Thanks

Post by fmattitude »

Thankyou Brian
Appreciate the info! I've only had the car for a while, so am still learning the "Miata-isms"!!
All the best
and thanks again
Michael