JIC's installed for 2006 NC MX-5 Miata!!!

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
GeorgeH

Post by GeorgeH »

Sorry, that last post was by me, George Hudetz. Didn't realize I wasn't logged in.
'94 Miata, BR Coldside Supercharged SM2 plaything
'04 RX-8 sport, daily driver plaything
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

Brian,

Did your NC have the sport suspension package? Even the GT that I have driven with this package feels too wallowy to me.

Thanks,
Kirk
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Hi George,

JIC decided to go after the dedicated street market this time.

That is, previously they let TEIN eat up the street market while JIC focussed on the more dedicated racers and the spring rates reflected this. In fact, our kits for NB are now coming from JIC with 12 kg front and 9 rear...not too far off of the Spec Miata rates. Meanwhile this NC kit is 6kg front and 5 kg rear or nearly half the NB spring rate. My understanding is that they will do with this car as they did with RX8 and have a H version or (H stands for hard) and S version (soft version). This is the S version and indeed very comfortable on the street...feels like a new BMW and less like a pure race car (like my NB did). To put it another way, very similar to the ride on the S version RX8 kit.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
spotch

Post by spotch »

So with the adjustability you think it would be possible to keep a near-stock ride height with the JIC kit?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yes, I raised the car yesterday so that it is exactly 25 inches from ground to fender lip on all four corners which now makes it just 1.5 inches lower than stock. This height left 1.25 inches of possible adjustment upward which means that the max high position of the JIC would put the NC only about 1/4th inch under stock height.

When I get a chance I will post new pics of the final height.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Chet95

Weight Savings

Post by Chet95 »

Hi Brian,

Read your testing posts here and on Miata Net re NC. What do you estimate the weight savings might be going to 16" rims and perhaps Toyo T1-R tires, and replacing the exhaust with a Roadster Sport setup?

Any persuasive reason to stay with 17" rims?

Chet95
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

No good reason to stay with 17s. I posted the pics of the factory 17s on the scale elsewhere here in our forum and certainly some weight can be saved. We already have some 17x7 Kosei for stock class guys that are several pounds lighter than stock wheels...but I agree that if we could source some really light 16s that we might be able to take off over 5 pounds of unsprung weight off per corner. Street users could upgrade suspension and handling and still have a better ride with such a combination.

For track use I could imagine a killer combo of 16x8s...with either 225/45/16s or even 245/45/16s. The problem is that I can't seem to find the rim so far in the right specs. Not much room to the outside which means we need to stick relatively close to the funky 55mm offset. 50 and 48 should be fine but the vast market of 45mm is likely too far out for stock NC fenders if my early eyeballing it accurate.

Going to start relatively conservative with Enkei 17x7.5s that are light and then likely go full track setup with 8 inch wide in something around 50mm offset.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The ride is pretty plush...even with almost exactly three times the stock spring rate. I am in love again with this NC...having a blast throwing it around all my favorite onramps and banked turns. It also looks right now...looks like all the Mazda ads instead of the Mazda reality sitting on dealer lots.

My gal didn't really like to ride in my 99 which was pretty race car rough and she finds this NC with 6kg front and 5kg rear to be "normal and factory-like" on ride quality. Have gotten the same or similar opinion from several other passengers over the last week. This underscores that Mazda could easily have gone higher on the stock "SPORT" package spring rates (200 lb would have been easy and it would still have a better ride than my 99 Sport did when totally stock). The chasis is great and really responds to even this modest (by my standards) improvement in spring rate.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I leveled at 1.5 inches below stock simply because my home driveway is rather severe. No issues in real world speed bumps or anywhere else in the real world at 2 inches lowered except that home driveway. At 1.5 below stock height is clears fine. Just got back from picking up some oil filters at the local Mazda dealer and the lowered NC was a real hit while it was parked in customer parking right next to the new car section.

Some notes on adjustment of these JIC:

When adjusting height it is important to keep the distance from top of the assembly down to the spring perch CONSTANT. Doing so avoids shifting of your spring rate (unless that is the user's intention). Messing around with it this week I preloaded the springs with about 1/2 inch compression and the effective increase in spring rate was very noticeable!
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com

Post by Guest »

Brian wrote:For track use I could imagine a killer combo of 16x8s...with either 225/45/16s or even 245/45/16s. The problem is that I can't seem to find the rim so far in the right specs.
http://rayswheels.co.jp

According to the Ray's website, the Volk CE28n comes in a 16-8 , 5X114.3, +.49 offset. Should weigh aroun 11-12 pounds. Now you will only need to mortgage you kidney to afford them.

Todd Carpenter