MSM suspension question

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.

MSM suspension question

Post by guest »

I love the suspension set up on my MSM. The car is stock and I plan to keep it that way.

Drive about 1400 miles a month, mostly freeways, and once in a while in the twisties. Never autox or racing.

I don't like the wheel gaps on the car.

Initially I wanted to lower it with a set of springs, but I was told in the long run that will shorten the life span of the OEM Bilsteins. Is that true?

What would you guys recommend for me, as I want to lower the car, and keep hte same OEM ride or even go softer, doesn't matter.

All about lowering it.

Thanks.

Post by Guest »

forgot to mention,
the look I am after, is what Brian has on his NC the blue one.

Stock wheels, and about 2 inches lower to get rid of the fender gap.

Also does Brian do installation on parts he sells?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Our most popular setups with the MSM guys have been our Bilstien threaded body coilovers. Take a look at the Bilstein PSS and PSS9 on the website. Both kits give you total control over the height. You can lower an inch....later decide to lower a little more...or later decide to raise it back up a half inch or whatever.

PSS stands for Professional Suspension System. The PSS is Bilstein's top of the line street setup and designed for street use including progressive rate springs (rate 242-282). You get ride and control that is considerably more sporty and controlled than stock.

The PSS9 is Bilstein's dual purpose setup....for the guy that wants to run on the street and do autocross and track too. Linear springs with a higher rate...343 front and rear. Also, 9 way adjustable damping from soft to firm.

The PSS involves no compromise in ride quality and gives you height control and better handling. The PSS9 includes some compromise in ride quality for an even higher level of handling.

We don't recommend lowering springs for the factory Bilsteins. Better to use an adjustable shock to make sure you have enough damping. Consider the ever popular Koni and KYB shocks with your choice of springs such as the Racing Beat which are a very conservative lowering spring. The only drawback with KONI and KYB is you don't get to change the height whenever you want to whatever you want...you are stuck with the amount of lowering you get with the spring you pick.

One other choice we have is Ground Control coilover conversions...which are not likely to be the right choice for you here. They are a cheap and simple way of getting what you get with the Bilstein coilovers...but with less travel.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com

Post by Guest »

Brian,

Thank you for the info. I assumed that the GC is not the way to go. Ultimately the JIC would have bee nice, but I read your NC thread, and it mentions that the ride is much stiffer on the NB versus the NC setup.

So PSS is the best for me it seems.

2 questions.

Do you also do install? I am about 2 hours from you, but I can take a day off and come down and have it done, if all works out price wise.

My email is lafun2@yahoo.com

Appreciate the prompt reply so far.

Post by Guest »

forgot to ask one more thing.

do you know the longevity of the OEM MSM setup (mainly the bilsteins) versus a PSS setup.

Mileage/years?

i.e. when they will need to be replaced.

Bilstein makes the great valves...they last for many years. This is true of stock bilsteins or the upgraded Bilstein coilovers. When they do eventually wear out Bilstein charges $35 for revalving...

Post by Guest »

Just have to pipe in on this. I had the PSS9's on my 04 LS and have the JIC's on my MSM. Either shock is far superior in both ride and handling to the base MSM setup. So is the Koni Sport Kit on the M1.

Pertaining to the MSM:
For a great street setup, PSS9, still autocrossable.
For a great autocross setup, JIC, still streetable.

Tom T.