SUPERCHARGED NC Racer Project!

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Sandor

Post by Sandor »

Actually, I just remembered an occasion back when I first bought my NC. I took it to Gingerman Raceway in South Haven, Michigan. I drove it from my friend’s house to the track (45 miles) and back, plus a few hours at the track (50 +/- miles) and ended up getting just over 14 MPG. I totally forgot that one. I could not believe how low that seemed at the time. But, there was a lot of wide open throttle driving. Actually, it was either wide open throttle or hard on the brakes. Not much else back then. Now, one has to modulate the throttle to not get too crossed up in the turns. Thanks to the Cosworth S/C. :D
2006 Limited: Sways, Scan guage, Limited slip, RPF1 with Yokahoma Advan Neova 235/40 17, Konig Runaways with Exclaim UHP 245/40 17, Ohilns. Cosworth S/C, double hoop w/ brace
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2923127
Brown Dogg

The GWR install experience...

Post by Brown Dogg »

Brian wrote:"Rocky" does the install in about 12 hours. He owns a Miata, and works on them every day and customers have driven from as far as Alaska for Rocky to do their Miata supercharger installs. Figure roughly $900 for install. As for dyno tune, we don't have a dyno here, but there are several local places we have used and can direct you to.
As for the tune, once you complete the install do you handle the ECU flash based on a map received from Cosworth, or is that the responsibility of the driver? I'd like to hear a brief description of the entire process - so as to understand what you do and what else needs to be done after your install. Consider the option were I to purchase the full tuning software as well. Lastly, how many days does the install take? I am just trying to get a feel for the experience were I to drive down. Last question - have you done an install on an 09 yet?
Buy Once, Buy Well
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Cosworth includes a tune for an OTHERWISE STOCK NC. Thus, if you add our headers and exhaust you are on your own and need the SNIPER software upgrade. The process with otherwise stock car is that you use an included sniper box to download the template from your car by plugging into the OBDII outlet. You then email that template to Sniper. Sniper then modifies it and sends it back. You then load it into the car with the same sniper box.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Re: SEMA SHOW....NC COSWORTH SUPERCHARGER COMPLETE!

Post by Brian »

Updates to the oldest Internet thread on the Cosworth NC Supercharger. Folks keep finding this thread with Google because it is the oldest, the original Cosworth NC Supercharger thread....and that leads to asking us questions based on OLD info.

The June 2011 update is that we now sell these kits WITHOUT the Cosworth name on them. They are now sold under our name instead. Our original install, the oldest install in the world.... is still happy winning events every weekend (top time of day at event last weekend). We look forward to another autocross event this coming weekend.

We now sell these kits without tune (you source your own), and with the MOTOEAST tune (see link above for more details). We run the MOTOEAST tune in our own 2007 and it works great. Track users should add our water injection.

Updated instructions at THIS LINK

You will see comments/updates in red. For example, see bottom of page 28, 29, 40, 41 of instructions.

We skip the hose tree shown on 29, simply don’t use it all. Also, we reroute the harness rather than cut and extend it (instruction steps 169 to 176). This cutting unnecessary, factory harness has enough length if we free it up by but cutting retaining tape and then reroute existing wires).
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Another update, got another delivery of these kits.

The cosworth tunes are LONG GONE years ago, we offer the kits today with MotoEast Calibration...or without calibration and customers can shop their own tunes. We have installed these kits up through the latest Club Editions and they continue to make customers happy!

The very first kit installed in 2008 still winning events in our 2007 every month!
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
bigmanlittlecar

Post by bigmanlittlecar »

Hi Brian, you've left me with a couple of questions.

I have a 2013 Club 6MT with about 8k on the stock engine.

I daily drive this car and drive the twisties of northern california when I can.

I'm in need of more power but torn between the 2.5 swap or the supercharger.

Do you have any preferences over the Kraftwerks compared to the Cosworth?

I like the idea of the 2.5 but am concerned that it won't be as quick as a supercharged car.

My previous cars are BMW550, supercharged Mustang, Ford Lightning.

I know you've probably been asked the same question a million times, so please be kind.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

For most folks the 2.0 with this MP62 is going to be fastest of the three choices...because it gives full boost everywhere in the RPM band. The Kraftwerks makes much more sound but no full boost until redline and only about half the gains when in the middle of the rpms. So, let's imagine you are cruising along 3500 to 4000 rpms and decide to make a pass around some big Semi Truck... or drive hard up and out of a canyon corner, then the MP62 is MUCH faster since it gives you twice the boost or more at that point in the rpm band. Where the Kraftwerks really shines is the very upper end, good for track guys, good on the freeway when already doing 4000+ rpms.

The normally aspirated 2.5 is not far behind the 2.0 MP62 combo, lots of extra torque from idle that the 2.0 can't match and exceed without that MP62 blower. Ultimately the 2.0 with MP62 is again faster everywhere in the rpm band than normally aspirated 2.5... but not by a massive amount, the 2.5 is impressive in it's own right for the simplicity with which it delivers good torque everywhere.

So, not sure if I have answered your question yet....best I can say is that the choice comes down to how fast you want to go? The 2.5 normally aspirated choice is a much faster Miata....but the 2.0 with MP62 is another few steps faster still. Given the fast toys you have owned, my fear is that the 2.5 would not be enough, not near the rush of those other choices you have owned.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
rmbx5

Post by rmbx5 »

Brian - what do you think it would take to build a 2.5L supercharged mx-5? Ignoring things like suspension, wheels, tires, I'm wondering how the rest of the car, like the tranmission, rear axle, etc. would hold up.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Great question, the 2.5 is rather long stroke and not an ideal candidate for boost as a result (expect faster wear, shorter life, etc). Nonetheless, certainly you can build more reliability into the 2.5 for boost by upgrading everything including rods and pistons, etc. Lots of customers put the boost on the stock 2.5 motors and some get really good service life from the standard 2.5 with boost but I suggest build an extra strong 2.5 before you boost it.

As for the rest of the car, the trans is good to about 300. I know customers running much more, but most are street customers and not beating on it seriously. I have destroyed numerous 5 speeds and the stronger 6 speed...and I have broken built versions of both the 5 speed and the 6speed (stronger Quaife gear sets included). Best you can do to keep the trans alive is use our upgraded stiff engine mounts (70 duro even for a street car) to keep the extra power from twisting the trans to destruction....but even then expect the transmission is a consumable if you go beyond 300 hp.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Time for what we will call 'PROJECT 300'....a long overdue update to our trusty 2007 with this Supercharger. This car has not had much coverage here for years because it is so crazy reliable that it needed nothing but oil changes and fresh spark plugs....despite the fact we beat on it constantly for weekend autocross and track events it has been our 'old faithful' for years.

It still makes about the same 260+ at the wheels and now that we have the kits in stock again we figure it is finally time to push this car to 300 hp on the 2.0 motor! We have a number of updates in mind to help us get there including our new big primary header that we have been working on for 2.5 application (see Project Blue thread). We also hope to play with MotoEast Mike's new 3 inch intake for these superchargers. And, we have already cut the hood for our Singular Motorsports hood vents to pull more air through our heat exchanger for the supercharger and the radiator. To further improve that air movement efficiency we are moving the battery tray off to the side where the bottle for the window sprayers normally sits. We are also pulling the plastic factory fan shroud and plastic tray under the ECU to allow air to move as cleanly as possible through the supercharger's heat exchanger and this car's Koyo radiator and up and out the Singular hood vents. And we are removing the factory fan and moving to a larger SPAL fan with a bigger opening so there is more flow both when the fan is running, and when it is not. Questions open for consideration include: is that heat exchanger big enough for 300hp, can we graft on an RX8 throttle body without too much machine work, etc.

We are also turning this car back to fast street machine, removing the carbon fiber front clip, carbon doors and re-installing the factory hood, factory doors, factory fenders, etc. That means we are adding about 100 pounds back to this car...and we hope to balance that performance loss with pushing the power north of 300 at the wheels. Likely finish up with changing over to E85.

Attachments
flat-bottom-MX5.jpg
flat-bottom-MX5.jpg (76.28 KiB) Viewed 16302 times
CosworthOrigins.jpg
CosworthOrigins.jpg (161.42 KiB) Viewed 16417 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com