SUPERCHARGED NC Racer Project!

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Well, learn from my lesson today everybody.

The directions for the calibration loader are generic and indicate the box can hold a calibration in position one and another in position two. Thus, preparing for a dyno run this morning I figured I could save dyno time and while on my PC last night I loaded a richer calibration into position one and an even richer calibration into position two of the Sniper box. Everything seemed to go okay and the loading software showed the load was successful into both position one and two.

But what actually happens is that this causes the Sniper loading box to tilt and it can't be reset by the customer.... Worse is that you don't learn this until you try the load into the car....at which point you jam up the car' ECU too. Pat then explained to me by phone that the calibration is so large a file for the MX5 that it bleeds over from position one into position two.... Consequence is that my car is stuck on the dyno today and my ECU is on the way to Pat to be unlocked.

Therefore I suggested that the loader instructions be updated for this car to explain that loader box holds only ONE calibration and any attempt to load into positions one and two may lock the box and subsequently cause a locked ECU.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
mann

Post by mann »

I did the same thing last year Brian, Pat reset the ECU for me within just a couple of days. moral of the story is just flash into position 1 and don't flash into two....

easy enough to fix though, they really should put that into the instructions.

Mike
06 turbo
rr1santos

Post by rr1santos »

Man everytime I look on this forum and read everyones posts it makes me want to buy the sc right now.

Anyword yet on an official date for CARB legality??

Or should I just order and install it now
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

rr1santos wrote:Man everytime I look on this forum and read everyones posts it makes me want to buy the sc right now.

You should order and install now. :twisted:

Sorry, don't have a firm date for CARB. They decided to include the 2009 in the process and that delayed the prospective CARB date until sometime in the fall.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
rr1santos

Post by rr1santos »

hmmm ok is it a simple install? For someone who's only done intakes and exhausts? I'm from San diego. Do you know any installers or do you do installs?
rr1santos

Post by rr1santos »

Brian wrote:
rr1santos wrote:Man everytime I look on this forum and read everyones posts it makes me want to buy the sc right now.

Sorry, don't have a firm date for CARB. They decided to include the 2009 in the process and that delayed the prospective CARB date until sometime in the fall.
So it is carb legal/meets emissions compliance just waiting for number?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

rr1santos wrote:
Brian wrote:

So it is carb legal/meets emissions compliance just waiting for number?
Until the number issues it is not CARB anything....
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
rr1santos

Post by rr1santos »

hmmm ok is it a simple install? For someone who's only done intakes and exhausts? I'm from San diego. Do you know any installers or do you do installs?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

NOT a simple install. Nothing particularly tough but many MANY steps to be done right (read this thread from the start...and find instructions in instructions section of this forum). Figure 12 hours by a pro mechanic. Yes...installation right here in San Diego.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
rr1santos

Post by rr1santos »

okay cool.

well Brian i got another question..

I recently installed the AEM CAI.

I took the liberty of Emailing Cosworth asking if the S/C will work with the CAI.

This was their reply:

"Ronald,
The answer to your question is no.
Our kit includes a new air box lid with a larger diameter MAF housing
and the ecu calibration is scaled to work with the diameter if that
housing.

Using any cai will cause detonation and poor performance.

Thanks for asking.
Ken"

What does he mean by detonation?

Also if i were to stick with the CAI is there a way i can calibrate the S/C?