Special Order 15x8 and 16x8 wheels

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Brian
Site Admin

Special Order 15x8 and 16x8 wheels

Post by Brian »

For the turbo and supercharged guys we have two special orders in the house. ATS Superlight 15x8s and Enkei RP-F1 16x8s. Light, strong, affordable and the special orders took 6 months to get so see the wheels section of the store and get them while they last or moan and groan that you missed the boat later.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
echeal

Post by echeal »

Brian, have you had a chance to weigh the 16x8 RP-F1's? Also, I have your 4 wheel BBK, I assume these will clear OK? Normally I wouldn't worry about 16" wheels, but since the 15x7's don't...

Thanks in advance, -Ed
JackP

Post by JackP »

I just took delivery of a set of these 16x8 RP-F1's from Brian. By my crude scale, they weigh in at 14.8 lbs each. This same scale measures the 15x7 35 ET version at 9.8 lbs which is their claimed weight, so it can't be that far out. I was hoping the 16x8's would be a touch lighter, but since the 16x7's are suppose to be 13.4 lbs, I figured they'd be in the 14's. The dish of the hub is quite deep, much deeper then the 15's. I suspect that the hub and spokes relative to the outer rim is the same as the 16x7's. Since the 16x7's have a 43mm offset and the 16x8's have a 38mm offset, the hub is likely almost 18mm deeper. I suspect this is where a lot of the weight increase is. If this is the case, at least most of it isn't at the rim.
Any, a great wheel in both quality and looks for the money.

Post by Guest »

Brian, considering the RPF's for the rear of the MSM. Need your advice on this.
Setup: JIC's, rb bars, corner weighted, your autocross alignment specs.

Car was very fast this year with about 220rwhp (fm2), but had problems putting that much power down and the inside rear spins on tight turns (I can't explain this, but it's very much true).
Balance is good with excellent rotation and controllable power oversteer. Lots of FTD's and FIC's this year, so pretty happy. BUT, in SM2, you gotta chase those hot Corvettes on the longer courses, so I'm adding power -- expect to be up to around 270rwhp. I would not be happy to give up the balance of the car, but need to tame the wheelspin.

One other change, I'm going to the 3.63 rear end.

Now the question: I propose to use these 16x8's in the rear only (15x7.5 in front with 225/50 V710) and go to 245/45 on those 16 rears. What do you think this would do to the car?

Would the offset of these wheels let me get a 245 into the front fender?

Tom T.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I can't say the 245s are going to get under the front fender. I think the 38mm offset on these is about as good as you are going to get for fitting under the fender but it will depend on how lowered you are. 225s will fit even if lowered 2 inches and more but 245s...hmmm...I just can't say one way or the other. You might have to raise the front slightly to get them not to rub.

However, things should be happy in the rear with a little fender lip roll and you could run the 15s up front. Normally I would say the balance may tip a little toward understeer with the front 225s but given that the rear combination is going to be taller this may counter the effect of the staggard sizes and the difference should be relatively easy to dial in.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com

Post by Guest »

Thanks Brian. I'm further considering the 16/8 for the fronts also. I want more rubber under this thing anyway. FM put the 16/7.5 SSRs on with Bridgestone 245s and claim they fit. How does this wheel sound compared to the RP's?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Anonymous wrote:Thanks Brian. I'm further considering the 16/8 for the fronts also. I want more rubber under this thing anyway. FM put the 16/7.5 SSRs on with Bridgestone 245s and claim they fit. How does this wheel sound compared to the RP's?
The SSRs are similar offeset if memory serves and I have seen the FM car.

But that does not tell us much. Fit at what height? And with what tire? Without knowing the details all this tells us is that it is possible to get 245s under the fenders if we have the right height and the right 245. Remember that 245s of one brand can easily be half an inch wider than 245s of anther brand. The FM car does not look that lowered in the photo but I would ask them how lowered it is, or is not...to fit the 245s.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
vwnomore

Post by vwnomore »

Anonymous wrote:Thanks Brian. I'm further considering the 16/8 for the fronts also. I want more rubber under this thing anyway. FM put the 16/7.5 SSRs on with Bridgestone 245s and claim they fit. How does this wheel sound compared to the RP's?
Not sure if you read on FM's page, but they had lots of problems running staggered fitments with different sized tires. They said it made the ABS go crazy, IIRC. Also, I believe their car was essentially set to stock height (JIC coilovers) with those 245mm tires.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Indeed the 245s don't allow much lowering. I am not a fan of staggard setups.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com