How to improve feel of the manual steering on my '96 Miata?

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Seven

How to improve feel of the manual steering on my '96 Miata?

Post by Seven »

Hello Brian,

I have a '96R Miata with manual steering. To me, the steering is slow and cumbersome, especially when driven on the street. Is there any way to increase the quickness of the rack? Do you know of any adjustments I can make?

I have 15x7 Panasports (I know, they are not exactly lightweight.) with T1-S. The rest of the suspension is stock, except for my alignment (I forget the specs).

If not, what power steering set up do you like the best - NA or NB, and would an NB system retrofit?

Thanks kindly for any advice you can offer.
Andrew
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The manual rack is about as precise as the steering is going to get....your comments about the wheels and tires reveal you already suspect the source of the cumbersome feeling in the steering...and you are correct. Part of the sloppy feeling is coming from rims that are too heavy. Mazda sent that car out from the factory with 10 pound rims...now it has 50% more weight hanging on the steering with those Panasports. Also, the Toyo T1S is a long time favorite street tire in the Miata world but precise turn-in is not one of its particular strengths...it has relatively soft sidewalls.

What to do. First you might experiment with simply raising tire pressure to get the T1 sidwalls a little stiffer to make the turn-in feel more precise. If that does not give you enough feel then I am afraid the next step is to reduce unsprung weight. Imagine you are back in highschool football practice running through the tire course....if you strap on ankle weights it is pretty tough to precisely get your feet in and out of the tires...which is exactly what you are asking the car to do with those heavy Panasports. Get your wheel and time combo back down to 30 pounds per corner and suddenly the steering will feel much more precise. You will find a side benefit of reducing the weight is both more precise steering feel and better ride quality.

Shock tower braces can help tighten the front and reduce flex enough to notice some improvement in steering response.
Attachments
Freedom-Design-Shock-Tower-Brace_Miatas.jpg
Freedom-Design-Shock-Tower-Brace_Miatas.jpg (113.09 KiB) Viewed 2783 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Seven

Thank you!

Post by Seven »

Brian,

Thanks a million for the reply! Your feedback is very much to the point and much appreciated. It confirms my initial hunches about the steering feel.

I am almost ready to pull the trigger on the Konig Heliums. I've been following this wheel for a long, long time. I honestly can't see how I can go wrong with this wheel, especially for $85! Plus, it will get me just under 30lbs/corner when using the T1-S.

Well, I guess I will have set of Panasports lying around, but maybe I can justify to the wife that the Pana's will be put on her future Miata. But I guess not a hard sell, as she really, really wants to get another Miata.

Anyhow, thanks again.
Andrew