FS: NC Carbon Fiber Hood, Trunk and Fenders

Welcome to the Good-Win Racing Forum. Feel free to tell us who you are, leave any comments or suggestionson how we can serve you better
Brian
Site Admin

Re: FS: NC Carbon Fiber Hood, Trunk and Fenders

Post by Brian »

WE have looked at vented hood. But, what to do about fact it allows rain to pour down on top of the motor? The only way I see to avoid that is to move vents forward of the engine....at which point I am not sure we accomplish much.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
grey_NC

Post by grey_NC »

Alex wrote:
Gordy wrote:
George wrote:A vented hood would be excellent.
I second this motion, particularly some louvers over the exhaust manifold.
That would be pretty awesome, but I'm only selling pieces that I had a mold made of.

Grey_nc: Are those for an NC for a different body style Mx5?
If you are seriously interested I can make you a deal for being the first to buy the hood and fenders. It's still expensive compared to the prices you posted but it's the best I can do.
They were for an NC and are vented as well close to the front cowl/windshield. Anyways, I am very interested! Shoot me an e-mail and we'll go from there. Thanks

ho_wang88@hotmail.com
Oz

Post by Oz »

Venting forwars of the engine is probably not all that bad.
There is a high pressure area in front of the screen/behind the engine that needs to be avoided for proper venting
Rob Young
Black 2005 NCLE GWR Exh, Cosworth, Mototune, Ohlins, PF01
George

Post by George »

Brian,

vents forward of the engine would be very effective. Pulling air through the radiator is gonna be awesome. Regardless, a little water proofing is painless, and there's not too much under there that can't take a splash of water. Experience talking here... I've had my hood louvered for three years or so. Zero problems.

I don't know if you're running an external oil cooler, but you may want to very strongly consider it. I have the Cosworth "Oil cooler" and my oil temps will hit 260+ degrees after a single 60 second AutoX run. I am using German Castrol 0W-30. Anything to improve air flow through the radiator will be a huge help.
2006 NC, Copper Red
2.3L, BEGi Turbo, Enthuza 3".
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I will likely do a vented hood soon on mine (currently doing it on NCLIGHT).

Picture of our 2007 in current form with our carbon doors. I was shocked to find that my factory doors with NO GLASS in them (took out the glass for weight savings long ago) still weighed over 42 pounds each! Our carbon doors fully trimmed with mirrors and latches and threaded inserts so they attach to factory hinges are just 11 pounds each. Thus, I put them on for autocross days to save 60 pounds! But I put the factory doors on for daily driving to have side impact protection.

Got autocross on Sunday!
Attachments
MX5-GT.jpg
MX5-GT.jpg (102.38 KiB) Viewed 7351 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

George wrote:Brian,

vents forward of the engine would be very effective. Pulling air through the radiator is gonna be awesome. Regardless, a little water proofing is painless, and there's not too much under there that can't take a splash of water. Experience talking here... I've had my hood louvered for three years or so. Zero problems.

I don't know if you're running an external oil cooler, but you may want to very strongly consider it. I have the Cosworth "Oil cooler" and my oil temps will hit 260+ degrees after a single 60 second AutoX run. I am using German Castrol 0W-30. Anything to improve air flow through the radiator will be a huge help.
Hi George,

Not getting similar oil temp spikes with our supercharged 2007. Part of that difference is that your turbo is MUCH more efficient oil heater. :wink: And, despite having just the water/oil unit for cooling oil in the Supercharged 2007...my car does have substantially upgraded radiator such that my water temps while moving at speed are better/cooler than normal.

In NCLIGHT we have a monster 1.5 liter oil cooler.....and soon a serious diffuser hood.
Attachments
MX5-Diffuser_Hood.jpg
MX5-Diffuser_Hood.jpg (75 KiB) Viewed 2548 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
George

Post by George »

I'd love to see this neat stuff trickling down my way... :wink:
2006 NC, Copper Red
2.3L, BEGi Turbo, Enthuza 3".