RX-8 vs. Miata on the track

Welcome to the Good-Win Racing Forum. Feel free to tell us who you are, leave any comments or suggestionson how we can serve you better
MikeColangelo

RX-8 vs. Miata on the track

Post by MikeColangelo »

I've got a question for you guys, especially Brian.

How does an RX-8 compare to a NA or NB Miata on the track? I've owned two 94 Miatas, one being a Spec Miata, and they handled superbly. The SM lacked power on the track but I could place that car anywhere on the track. It was very forgiving and easy to drive.

So how does a stock (or nearly so) RX-8 compare on a road racing track such as Buttonwillow or Streets of Willow? I assume it's faster on the track given that it's got a more powerful motor but is it as easy to steer and fling around the track?

Would you recommend one as a track car?

Thanks for any info and have a great weekend!

Mike
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I wish I had a good answer for you on this one.....I constantly debate which I prefer for track days. What I usually end up telling folks is that I use the RX8 for track days that are far away because it is much more comfortable for the long drives. Laguna Seca is 437 miles from my front door. If I am instructing I can easily get over 200 miles in a day on track. So, we are talking a 1200 mile weekend. For that, the RX8 is the choice because getting there and back is so smooth and fast.

But on track it is a toss up. The Miata is lighter. The RX8 feels like a BIG Miata and can be tossed around in the same ways. For really tight tracks and Autocross the Miata is the slight favorite. For bigger higher speed tracks the RX8 is the favorite. But it is a close call....real close.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com