08 M3 wheel questions

Show off your lightweight high-performance wheels and see here what they look like on your Mazda before you buy.
jca82282

08 M3 wheel questions

Post by jca82282 »

Brian,

I just got a 08 M3 hatchback. I want to get rid of the snowflakes and go with a light 5 spoke and 16" instead of 17. My thoughts for 16" was better ride quality (I don't race) and lighter weight. 48 offset seems to be the closest to stock but how does an increase in tracking effect handeling? Also, won't going with less positive offset have a negative effect on suspension and steering components? I don't want to lower the car and want to keep things as tucked as possible. I plan to go with Michelin Exalto AS 215/50-16 as this will give me the same diameter as the stock tire with a little increase in width. Your thoughts are appreciated.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The very slight track width increase gives a very slight stability increase in high speed use though you would likely only notice the difference in track use....likewise the change to 48mm is so slight that you won't get any difference in wear on suspension parts.

I understand your desire to go 16 to keep it light...but I am not aware of a 16 inch combo that clears your brakes. Thus, my suggestion is to lower your weight using a much lighter 17 inch size:

Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
jca82282

Post by jca82282 »

Brian,

Thank you very much for the input. There is a OEM Mazda RX8 split 5 spoke wheel in a 16 x 7 with a 50mm offset. Shouldn't that clear the calipers?

Thanks
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

jca82282 wrote:Brian,

Thank you very much for the input. There is a OEM Mazda RX8 split 5 spoke wheel in a 16 x 7 with a 50mm offset. Shouldn't that clear the calipers?

Thanks
And there is an OEM 16x6.5 for the 2006 and newer MX5 Miata....but you can barely slip a piece of paper in between the spokes and the caliper...the clearance is amazingly tight. Thus, you will need to look at 16 inch rims on a case by case basis...some may fit, and I expect many, perhaps most, will not fit. For example...see our similar thread on this issue for the MX5 here regarding 16x7 RP-F1 that some users bought at other dealers:

http://www.good-win-racing.com/mazda-ta ... php?t=1030
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com