Best Allrounder Size

Show off your lightweight high-performance wheels and see here what they look like on your Mazda before you buy.
TarkMalbot

Best Allrounder Size

Post by TarkMalbot »

I am wanting to replace my wheels and tyres on my car but am unsure what size to go. I am looking at getting OZ superleggera that are lighter than stock but depending on the width of the rim and tyre they may end up heavier than stock. Also will be going with Toyo Proxes tyres.

The car will be used for every day use but will have the Cosworth in the next month or so.

I was looking to stick with 17" or maybe go up to 18"?

Can anyone help me get the perfect balance between handling, weight, steering and looks.

Should I be running 7" rims like standard, 7.5" rims with 215 8" rims with 225 etc etc? Where is the best middle ground?

Also the ET will be 45 or 48 so just want to make sure they don't catch when on full lock or on the outside arches.

Sorry that this is a question no doubt asked before. :oops:

Mark.
mann

Post by mann »

I thought the superleggera was being discontinued....I went with the ultraleggera, while no lighter than stock at 17 lbs, is 1" wider giving me the ability to run 235's which fit perfect on an 8" rim.

Brian has some really awesome choices such as the rp-f1 and the rsm which might suit your needs even better.

Mike
06 turbo
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Keyword: COSWORTH. Given that you are doubling the torque....I suggest a 17x8 with 235/40/17. You will still find you can easily spin this size.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
TarkMalbot

Post by TarkMalbot »

Sorry I haven't been back to check for a few days! :roll:

I have decided on the 235/40/17 on the Ultraleggera so thanks very much for the help.
TarkMalbot

Post by TarkMalbot »

Wheels have been on for a few weeks now with no rubbing at all.

I have OZ Ultraleggera 17"x8" with ET45. Tyres are Toyo TR-1S 235/40/17

Sorry for the poor photos:

nc4me

Post by nc4me »

A couple of questions? Is your car lowered? Do you have any rubbing issues? Did you roll your fenders?
TarkMalbot

Post by TarkMalbot »

My car is lowered 40mm with a ride height of 335mm (13.2") front and 345mm (13.6") rear. Heights taken from the center of the wheel to the fender. I have had no rubbing issues and not rolled the fenders. I was running standard camber with no issues but now running slightly more camber so not ever likely to see any rubbing. 8)
MX-5 Cup

Post by MX-5 Cup »

Congrat's TarkMalbot... You have awesome wheel's! :P
I LOVE MY MX-5 :)
Lab-ratt

Post by Lab-ratt »

+1, Fantastic Wheels Tark. Am inspired and am getting a set for myself. Nice work.