wheel and tire size

Show off your lightweight high-performance wheels and see here what they look like on your Mazda before you buy.
piedmont4

wheel and tire size

Post by piedmont4 »

I know this question has been raised before but here goes. I have a 2008 MX5 PRHT and I like everything about this car except the rear tire size. In most of the other post people are either changing the wheel size or doing autocross or making other changes to their car. I would like only to go with a larger tire on the rear. I like the factory wheel design but the narrow tires just don't cut. This is a pleasure car only, but it looks like I'm in a rollar skate. My son has a 07 S2000 and I like the look it has with 215/45/17 on the front and 245/40/17 on the rear. This is the look I would like to achieve. Without changing wheels what are my rear tire options with safety and sunday driving performance in mind. Both cars have the Bridgestone Potanza[/i][/b]
rpmchris

Post by rpmchris »

Try this thread - http://www.good-win-racing.com/mazda-ta ... php?t=1323

This topic has come up before, and there aren't too many options due to the 7" wide stock wheel (the S2000 has wider wheels in the rear, making the staggered tire selection more natural). The MX-5 is nearly perfectly balanced front to rear, and does not have the same stock power that the S2K has (which necessitates the wider rear rubber). My suggestion is to increase both front and rear widths to the same size and enjoy the added grip AND better look.

Just my 2 cents! :D
'06 MX-5 Sport 6-speed
Autocross junkie!
MX-5 Cup

Post by MX-5 Cup »

You can fit the 245/40/17 on back with ease with the stock 17x7 wheel's... I have this size on mine at the four corner's and no problem! :)
I LOVE MY MX-5 :)
piedmont4

MX-5 Tires

Post by piedmont4 »

MX-5 Cup thank you for input. Do you have any way you can take a couple pictures from the rear down low to get a visual on the appearance and of the wheel itself to see how the wall of the tire and the wheel line up ? I guess what I am asking is there much tire roll on the sidewall? B.F Goodriech just came out with a new tire about 2 months ago called the G-Force Super Sport. I purchased a set for my son's S2000 for only $508.00 for the set. They are suppose to have a good milage rating, they have a very good looking tread and they handle water very well. We drove to Flordia the 1st week of March and it rained all the way down and we ran about 70 to 80 with no problems. The only thing this tire doesn't have is the straight sidewall, like the Potenza that was on there. There is a little more roll under at the bottom of the tire but for the price I think I can live with that
MX-5 Cup

Post by MX-5 Cup »

Hi, piedmont4... :D

First, I don't have any digital camera sorry for that, I have only pro 35mm! :oops:

Please, don't put a regular or cheap tire on a car like the MX5... It's a murder bro! :lol: 245/40/17 fit perfectly and I have Racing Beat upgrade spring with 0.5'' inch drop, more drop than that will be probably a problem with the 245... So if you run with stock spring that sound great! :D

The choice of tire now... I am very piky with them, especially on this kind of insane fitting, the sidewall need to be very flexible but also a bit firm, the big tire size mean also more tire weight and more weight mean loss of power also! On the market right now, we have two perfect tire brand name for this kind of insane fit... The Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 and the Continental ContiSportContact 3 who both have firm and flexible sidewall, ultra-light weight with a very grippy street compound dry/wet! The only problem with them... They cost a fortune, but you save on new wheel's! Finally it's not bad... :wink:

You know, beside the stock 17'' wheel's 17.5 pounds... It's hard to find the perfect wheel on the aftermarket today for the MX5... Because it need at least a 48mm+ offset or you need a fender roll and they need also to be ultra-light weight to keep the same power! Only a few are available, but the price is totaly insane... That's why after trying many set-up, I return to my bone stock 17x7 for daily driving with some awesome ultra-light weight street tire! Btw the weight of my 245's PS2 is almost even to the stock 205's and I really like the beeffy look they have on the street... :lol:

Now my priceless racing set-up... Enkei RS+M 17x8 48mm wheel's 16 pounds with Kumho V710 Ecsta 215/40ZR17 tire's 20 pounds! For me, it's the best NC racing set-up ever... :twisted:

Have a good day my friend! :D
I LOVE MY MX-5 :)
k9bill

Post by k9bill »

I bought 2 sets of 215/40/17 all weather tires. Both sets are setting in my basement. I'm running 205/45/17 w/JS+M on the front and like it. Now, what can I do with the rear? My JS+M rims are 7.5 and I want a beefier tire in the back. My tire choice is Toyo Proxes4. My only choices are.. 215/45, 225/45 or (245/40? very questionable). If the tire gets too tall, it slows me down.. (loss of torque) I want to run 245/40, which is 9.6 across, but not sure about that JS+M 7.5 rim. My car is street only.
Bill
Eibach Springs-Sport front Pro rear & sway bars,
Odyssey PC545 battery w/brass terminals & HD545,
PIAA Xtreme headlights, dimmers, horn & wiper-blades,
Royal Purple XPR motor oil, filter & gear oil,
Sprint Booster, full gas peddle mod, Voodoo,
tinted rear, virtually gutted, all street.