RPF1 in 14"

Show off your lightweight high-performance wheels and see here what they look like on your Mazda before you buy.
zooki

RPF1 in 14"

Post by zooki »

Are you able or interested in working with CR.net and Enkei on a group buy? Looks like there could be 10 people interested in a minum purchase of 10 sets, 14x7 19.5 offset. The color hasn't been mentioned yet, as a definite. Here's the link...

http://www.clubroadster.net/vb_forum/sh ... 566&page=4
Brian
Site Admin

Re: RPF1 in 14"

Post by Brian »

zooki wrote:Are you able or interested in working with CR.net and Enkei on a group buy? Looks like there could be 10 people interested in a minum purchase of 10 sets, 14x7 19.5 offset. The color hasn't been mentioned yet, as a definite. Here's the link...

http://www.clubroadster.net/vb_forum/sh ... 566&page=4

I am all for it if it makes sense... I too like the vintage look...would even like a set for myself. But my initial impression is that this size is a dead end and almost nobody (other than me) would decide to go with it now if they know the facts. Feel free to link my response over in the other forum. Here is why...

Enkei called me about bringing more 14s in. I didn't imagine much interest so I turned them down. Traditional 14 inch race wheel makers like Team Dynamics have been discontinuing their import of 14x7....they just don't sell anymore (even at just $100 per wheel). Five years ago we sold a few sets of 14x7 race wheels every week. Now we are lucky to sell two sets in a year. The reason is very simple: everybody actually racing found that they are simply faster on 15x7, 15x7.5, 15x8, etc. So, the first problem I see is that the writing has been on the wall for many moons: there is no future in wide 14 inch rims BECAUSE THEY ARE SLOWER.

SECOND problem, if you get a set and you break a wheel you may never get a replacement...are you and the other potential buyers willing to accept that risk and buy 5 or 6 each up front?

THIRD problem, tire makers are discontinuing the faster 14 inch tire choices. And are you up for the risk that in a year or two your choice of tires for that 14x7 will be gone forever and you may not have good alternative tire choices? Toyo let us know months ago that the faster 14 inch choices may not survive another year because demand is falling so fast for 14s... Seriously, demand has fallen off a cliff. Again, sold at least a set of 225/50/14 and 205/55/14 every week about five years ago. This year have not sold even ONE set of either size....so you must assume that next time you need a replacement set of rubber for your super cool and light weight 14s you may be making a special order for the tires and waiting for 6 weeks to get them....and at some point you may find your first and second choices are not in production....because tire makers won't keep sizes around that almost never sell.

If you get past all these issues and have some guys who are locked in on this despite the downsides then certainly we can order them up....
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
zooki

Post by zooki »

Thanks for your detailed point of view and factual negatives. I was not aware of the slow death of the 14" species, but there are still a few nice options for track (no news to you, you sell em) and primarily the street (60 series RS2 and Azenis).

The '"15's are faster" has been discussed already, thats apparently not a problem. I doubt these are gonna be dedicated race wheels anyway.

Still, there are at least 5 to 6+ guys that are serious right now, and its a 5 page thread over about a month's time. Some BIG plus's for this wheel is its "dish" or offset, which we all know is the rave now, along with the light weight and originality, which is not at all about trends, etc. On the positive side, this could be a good opportunity to sell some of those 14" tires! :)

I'll go ahead and post this over there :arrow: . Thanks
juxt3r

Post by juxt3r »

I'm one of the folks from another board who is interested in these wheels. If we can get a reasonable number of folks on board for the prices we've already seen thrown around, you can count me in for five, maybe six, wheels in the original Enkei specs.

I already have my fast wheels covered, so now I want some classy, rare street wheels. These look perfect, and would be even more so given a limited run.
If decent 14" become unavailable, the wheels will make an incredible coffee table! :lol:

Subscribing to this thread in case anything comes of it.
'90 LE and a shopping list
'99 Sport clone
roadster dave

Post by roadster dave »

I am in the same boat. I have always loved these wheels and am in for a set for sure. Please make this group buy happen!
revlimiter

Post by revlimiter »

I registered on this forum just to reply to this thread. Holy hell, was that captcha hard to read for a colorblind guy....

If this group buy could actually happen, I'd be in for a set. Classy, rare street wheels are what I want, just like the guy above me said. Color doesn't matter to me, since I can always paint or powdercoat once the wheels arrive.

Please make this happen.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Okay, I will go back to Enkei on this...
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
revlimiter

Post by revlimiter »

Great! Thanks Brian! I'm way too excited about these wheels. Just let us know when you're taking deposits.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Okay, deal is done with Enkei. Only 40 coming to the USA....and we took them all before TireRack could even blink. Amazing 8.6 pounds, HUBCENTRIC for Miata! We don't do deposits. Instead, we are going to take orders for them (just like we did for 15x9 6uls) and you pay up front. Yes, Enkei made them all silver color. The upside for paying up front is that we are going to price these $20 lower per wheel than you guys expected to pay. They are in the website and ready to order now.

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Pe ... -0417.html
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
revlimiter

Post by revlimiter »

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One thing. The order page lists 28mm. Aren't these supposed to be 19mm offset? That was kinda THE thing about these wheels, other than the weight and everything else. Hoping it's a misprint.