My NC with RPF1 17x8 +45 / 215-45-17

Show off your lightweight high-performance wheels and see here what they look like on your Mazda before you buy.
coffeeboss

My NC with RPF1 17x8 +45 / 215-45-17

Post by coffeeboss »

A couple of images of my NC wearing it's RPF1s. I don't run the car too low (TEIN coilovers) so no issues with rubbing of any kind.
The 215 profile tires show a bit of stretch. I wanted Michelin Preceda's and this was the only profile that did not result in a big difference in overall diameter - unfortunately i couldn't source Precedas in 225-40 profile.

More images here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattsan/se ... 145681982/
MY08 NCEC Roadster / MX5
Sydney, Australia
EvoStevo

Post by EvoStevo »

Very nice. 225-40-17 is a rare size.
coffeeboss

Post by coffeeboss »

EvoStevo wrote:Very nice. 225-40-17 is a rare size.
As i learnt!

However i would eventually like to have these wheels as my full-time trackday wheels (as they should be!) and then profile will not matter as much. I can then source a wheel diameter and width for the road that better suits my tire preference.

All in good time! I think exhaust will be next.
MY08 NCEC Roadster / MX5
Sydney, Australia
virgin1

Post by virgin1 »

Looks GREAT, CB!!!
With that color car, I'm glad you stayed w/silver painted wheels. It was the right choice IMO. I REAALLLYYY like the look.
How have they changed or improved the handling of the car?

coffeeboss

Post by coffeeboss »

virgin1 wrote:How have they changed or improved the handling of the car?
I have much higher mechanical grip. However I changed tires at the same time, so difficult to say how much of the improvement is down to better tires, and how much is down to the wider track and wider tread.

However, i can say that i noticed the difference in unsprung weight immediately. I was already familiar with the improvement in pickup you can get from lighter wheels, but i was still amazed at how much of an improvement it was. As long as you buy good quality rims, lighter wheels are one of rare 'no compromise' upgrades you can do to your car IMHO.
MY08 NCEC Roadster / MX5
Sydney, Australia
Arrowface

Post by Arrowface »

They look great!

By the way for a 17x8 what is the thickest mm you can go? I'm trying to decide between the 17x8 vs the 17x9
coffeeboss

Post by coffeeboss »

Arrowface wrote:By the way for a 17x8 what is the thickest mm you can go? I'm trying to decide between the 17x8 vs the 17x9
I think you are talking about tire width, yes?

If so, check on the Goodwin site as there are some guides there. The thing is, if you run wider tires then you are more likely to have to roll the guards as the shoulders of the tires will sit closer the wider you go with you tires.

With 215's i have a bit of stretch, 225's sit just square, 235's would be suitable as well.
MY08 NCEC Roadster / MX5
Sydney, Australia