Enkei RP-F1 15x7, 16x7, 16x8 on Miata NA/NB and NC 18x9.5s

Show off your lightweight high-performance wheels and see here what they look like on your Mazda before you buy.
ronbauer

Post by ronbauer »

fluid fish,

The reason I'm running the rear bar disconnected is because it was oversteering quite a bit with it connected. I'm going to be playing with alignment, and of course the bigger tires, so I may end up reconnecting it at some point.

I think the main issue is my spring rates. The fronts might need to be a little stiffer yet.

I'll continue to update the website with information as I go.

Ron
darvo

Post by darvo »

Yes it did make a lot of sense to me.
Thank You and Brian
For all your help.
Good luck in your project cars.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Wow...that's Smokin Hot Ron. I like the new color.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
rpmchris

Post by rpmchris »

Brian wrote:17x7.5 at 48mm offset with Toyo RA1 235/40/17

Any other pics of this car (or another with the same tire/wheel setup)?
darvo

Post by darvo »

Brian wrote:The overall diameter is all that matters....the fact that rims themselves are 18 inches or 17 is not relevant. We went 18s because of the race tire sizes available that are close to stock diameter, and those choices are better in 18 inch than they are in 17 inch.
Another question..

Here in Puerto Rico having a 30 or 35 tire will be a massacre for any wheel.

Can you recommend a setup with the 18x9.5 or 17x9 with street tires that will work.
Lets say a 255/40/17 or wider tire? taller.. something thats close to the stock diameter or same. Dont delete the 18x9.5 option(the wider the better)
you are the experts..
What can u recommend?
Sorry for so many questions :wink:
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

You can't get very tall on the 18s and actually fit the car, 245/35/18 is about it. On 17s you can run 235/40/17 which is stock diameter...215/45/17s are a little taller.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
bluemeany

Post by bluemeany »

Ron, wow the new car looks great. What's your feeling on the 18x9.5s as a joy rider/ track day car? I am having a hard time buying the 17" rim when the 18 looks so good, weighs the same as my existing stock wheel and will increase grip with 245s.

Also, in the pics of your 07 on your site, is that pre-fender roll? I noticed that the tire seems too be just past the fender.

thanks
Adam
ronbauer

Post by ronbauer »

Hi Adam,

If I had more money, I'd probably be very inclined to get another set for street tires. They just look so good on the car, that I'd love to run them that way.

The pictures are indeed pre-fender roll. Keep in mind though that the fender roll in the rear doesn't really extend the fender out, but just allows clearance for the suspension compressing. The more the car gets lowered, the more they tuck in due to the camber increase. In the front, the only rubbing is under extreme cornering, and with the exception of where the fender liner attaches to the fender, you don't have to roll the front fenders with the 245/35/18 Kumhos.

That said, they do stick out when the suspension is normal if you have just normal amounts of camber and don't lower the car excessively.

One other thing to keep in mind is that a 9.5 is actually a bit wide for a 245. You'd have to be real careful of curbs, as the tire is a bit stretched.

All that said, I'd still love to have a set for everyday use on the car. Brian says they're only for race/autocross, but I think you could get away with them. You just have to be aware of the risks.

Ron
bluemeany

Post by bluemeany »

Thanks Ron. I did indeed notice the near overwidth of the wheel to the tire.
Brian, is the RP-F1 available an inch narrower @ 18x 8.5"?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Not in a workable offset...
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com