New Enkei GTC01

Show off your lightweight high-performance wheels and see here what they look like on your Mazda before you buy.
bluemeany

Post by bluemeany »

Thanks, the wheels are absolutely georgous, I love this finish. Ctompkins, I ordered the wheels after seeing your pics on this site. I had another set of wheels already ordered and changed after seeing your car.

I am runnig the Ohlins coilovers that Brian sells. They are absolutely awsome and despite the high price are worth every penny. It is quite low, but I was running it lower. I think it is perfect right now. The wheels are the same as yours 17x8 with 235-40-17 tires. I rolled the fenders a little for clearance(it was easy) but the lower you go the more the wheel starts going toward the inside of the fender until it is tucked nicely inside.

I ran at the track today and had one minor instance of rubbing on the rear after a nasty bump under very hard cornering. Not enough rub to really matter though and it was the first real rub that I've had with this setup.
ctompkins5

Post by ctompkins5 »

Adam, thanks for the info. I have been considering dropping mine down a bit and have been looking at all of the various coilover options to decide which way I want to go. I knew that with this wide a tire I would need a fender roll, but it is nice to see that it can actually work really well and really tuck way up in there if I want it to. Probably would never go as low as you have yours, but good to know it's possible. Your car really does look great! I love the look of these wheels too, and you're right, the finish on them is absolutely gorgeous. (Brian - Hope that helps you sell more of them, but not too many more, don't want the whole world wearin' the same shoes.) :)
edisonzeng

Post by edisonzeng »

Hi, I am thinking about ordering these GTC01's with Koni shocks and Eibach Pro springs. How much fender rolling was needed? Would I need a camber kit?

Hopefully it looks alright on my black on black 06. It snows here so I am kind of scared of lowering it too much. What are the exact settings on your suspension Adam?

This is the first time I am modding a car so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Edison
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

With the GTC01 17x8 with Eibach Pro Springs on stock shocks or the Tokicos you would not need any fender roll with most 235/40/17. The Koni shocks drop you another half inch or so and that would put you into the range of potential rub in the rear depending on the brand of tire and how much camber you have (no camber kit needed).
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
edisonzeng

Post by edisonzeng »

Alright, I got the GTC01's put in, putting up pictures sometime after getting the lowering springs done in too. Around how much would it cost to get the lowering springs in? Also, would it be recommended to do springs and sway bars while the wheels are off?

Cheers,
Edison

Also, I don't think mine came with Enkei caps. Are they sold seperately?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I would say shops average $100 a corner to do shock/spring swaps. The sway bar install is not really related in terms of labor...
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
edisonzeng

Post by edisonzeng »

Hi Brian:

What's the best tire pressure for 75% street 25% autox? I think I have mine around max right now. I bought the package to I have the ecstas.

Best,
Edison
ZIPNBYE

Post by ZIPNBYE »

It's not the same for the street vs. the track (autoslalom or otherwise).
Richard
2007 MX-5 GT/PP/PRHT | Stormy Blue Mica / saddle brown | #1 of 16 special order cars | Signed by Takao Kijima & Tom Matano
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

As suggested above...you will have one set of pressures for Autocross days and that set will be MUCH higher than you want to drive around on everyday. Start with about 36psi for Autocross and adjust up or down as needed to find what works best with whatever alignment/suspension setup you have. When the autocross event is done those tires will likely be around 40psi and you will drain them down for the drive home to around 30psi.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
edisonzeng

Post by edisonzeng »

I have them at 50 psi. I'm guessing that's a bad thing from what I've been reading. I've kept them like this since a month ago and it's been almost 400 miles.

As expected, these are pretty bad during winter, and are around the same as the stocks in terms of being bad during the winter.

I can get 500 more rpm during clutch dump starts without wheelspin, though.