Offset Questions

Show off your lightweight high-performance wheels and see here what they look like on your Mazda before you buy.
Bill Kille

Offset Questions

Post by Bill Kille »

What is the "offset" on the 16", 5 spoke wheels for the '06 MX-5
and does an aftermarket wheel have to be exactly the same. if
not the same, then what are the plus & minus offset figures that the
car will tolerate :?:
Bill Kille, Chestertown, Md.
2006 Silver Bullet, 157,000 miles
Delaware Valley Miata Club & M.O.O.D
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I have not measured the 16 since my 2006 came with the 17 inchers but I can tell you that the 17 inch factory rim is 55mm. As we stray from the factory offset we eventually get into minor geometry errors that don't have any real world manifestations out through at least 40mm in my experience so far with the NC platform. Nonetheless, my general recommendation is 48mm for aftermarket rims because that will allow the choice of beyond stock size tires and rims and won't give any issue of rub up through 235mm wide tires.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
EvoStevo

Post by EvoStevo »

Brian, can you define "real world manifestations "? Have you ever experimented with the Enkei RPF1 17x8.5 40mm?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I have fit the Enkei RPF1 17x8.5 40mm to my car and it fits my car with up to 225mm tires but my fenders have a pretty complete roll. Thus, can't say it would work without a roll.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
ZIPNBYE

Post by ZIPNBYE »

The oem 16" alloys also have a 55mm offset. I acquired a set for winter use and that's what's stamped on the hub.
Richard
2007 MX-5 GT/PP/PRHT | Stormy Blue Mica / saddle brown | #1 of 16 special order cars | Signed by Takao Kijima & Tom Matano
EvoStevo

Post by EvoStevo »

Brian, do you have a complete rim roll front and rear? i just want to maximize the fendors with the largest and lightest wheel/tire combo for the street. including Enkei wheels, there are other that i'm interested in. One in particular is the NTO-3 17x7.5 40 mm or 17x9.5 44 mm.

thanks, steve
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I have enough roll to fit 18x9.5 all around...45mm offset which is ultimately a wider track than the NTO3s you are considering. I love the look of the NT03+M and think they would look great but if weight savings is the goal see our various RP-F1 and JS+M sizes which would save you a few pounds per corner.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com