Shaving a wheel to get the desired offset?

Show off your lightweight high-performance wheels and see here what they look like on your Mazda before you buy.
MX-54LIFE

Shaving a wheel to get the desired offset?

Post by MX-54LIFE »

Hello Brian,

Do you have any comment on the fact that it's possible to shave a wheel to get to the desired offset? There's a wheel being sold (5Zigen brand). The seller claims that it was originally at 43 et and was shaved in the factory by 5mm and now it's at 48 et. And the seller told me that he was told by the factory that 5-7 mm is safe. Now if this the case it would open up a wider choices of wheels for the NC. My neighbor is a machinist and he told me that this is a straight forward job for an able shop. That brings me to one of your comment on an Enkie RPF1 18x9.5 at 45 et (wishing they have it on a 48 et?)
Going topless in public is never indecent, it's life on a roadster even if you're barely street legal.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Depends on the meat available at the mounting pad. Problem is, there is no means of easily testing and determining what you need in minimal thickness of the pad. So, the answer is that racers have been shaving the offset on wheels for many years but there is no standard for how much meat at the pad must remain for it to be safe. Thus, I have no recommendations on this one. Sorry.

In fact, the 45mm 18x9.5 is already shaved. It starts as the 38mm offset and Enkei shaves 7mm to make it the special order 45mm offset. How much more you could machine off and still have a safe wheel for the NC is not an answer I have.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
MX-54LIFE

shaving the wheel to get the desired offset!

Post by MX-54LIFE »

Thanks so much for such an objective input. So you say the RPF1 18x9.5 actually started at 38 et and the factory just shaved it to accomodate applications up to 45 et so then the 5Zigen factory claim of 5-7 mm safety in shaving has some sort of reality to it. That also brings to some thinking on the variation of availability of offset on certain wheel configurations. Like if the manufacturer originally molds a wheel (base upon demand), would start it on a certain offset and then what ever other offset can be created by shaving guided by a safety margin. Somewhat a cheaper way of production rather than creating a mold for each offset. Of course your right on the fact that it will still be dictated by how much meat they left. I'll do more research on this, please let me know if you have other idea on this matter. I'm pursuing this Kosie 18x8 at 40et apparently very light. I'll check on what this wheel originally molded from, meat differences on other available offset at this config. Just wondering, why the weight of of the wheel varies depending upon the offset even thought they are say same 18x8. (your right again, the meat) :D