NC Wheel/Tire/Lowering Springs?

Show off your lightweight high-performance wheels and see here what they look like on your Mazda before you buy.
Charlie HA! HA!

NC Wheel/Tire/Lowering Springs?

Post by Charlie HA! HA! »

I have been looking at a couple of rims one that is 17"x7.5" with a 47mm offset in combination with a 225/45-17 and the other is 18"x8" with a 47mm offset on that one I was thinking of using a 225/40-18. I would like to hear some feedback on which one would have the best fitment if I lower the car. I was considering using either the Eibach Sportline (low) or the Eibach Pro Kit (really low) Lowering springs. I am looking the best looking combination without rubbing or having to roll fenders. I see alot of different combination of rims , tires, and lowering spring / coil overs on this site but most don't describe what spring kit was used and how low it has lowered the vehicle. I will greatly appreciate any feedback that can be given. Thanx.
Charlie HA HA
2007 MX-5 BRILLIANT BLACK RETRACTABLE HARDTOP - Love to push the button TOP GOES DOWN, TOP GOES UP! I know i'm going to break this thing!
rpmchris

Post by rpmchris »

You shouldn't have any problems with the 17" combo you describe. You "may" have rubbing issues with the 18" combo. Both tires you listed are slightly taller than stock (205/45-17 and 235/40-17 have the same OD, and a 225/35-18 - while rare - is closer to stock OD than a 225/40-series tire).

You have the springs backwards - the Pro Kit lowers about 1.4-1.5" while the Sportline lowers around 2.0" - more if you use Koni Sport shocks.

My NC has Mazdaspeed (Eibach Pro Kit) springs w/Konis, and 17x7.5" Enkei RPF1 wheels (+48mm offset), and 235/40ZR17 Goodyear F1 GS-D3 tires. Everything fits and works, plus it looks great. It's approx. 1.75-2.0" lower than stock (measured wheel center-to-fender edge at 13.25" front, & 13.00" rear).
'06 MX-5 Sport 6-speed
Autocross junkie!
hhowey

Springs and bumpers

Post by hhowey »

In the other forum I have asked about using the model from Racing Beat in re-forming the bumpers when installing lowering springs.

Did you do this with the Eibachs?
Skip Howey
rpmchris

Post by rpmchris »

If, when you say "re-forming" you mean "fender rolling" then, no, I didn't have to. I WILL have to roll them slightly to fit my race rubber (still undecided, but leaning toward 245/40-17 or 245/35-18 Hoosiers, depending on which wheel I go with).

Those that do roll their fender lips either have/use a specialy tool, or a baseball bat.

If by "re-forming the bumpers" you mean cutting down the "bumpstops" then, no, I didn't do that either.
'06 MX-5 Sport 6-speed
Autocross junkie!