Montegi Forge Traklite 2

Show off your lightweight high-performance wheels and see here what they look like on your Mazda before you buy.
MX-54LIFE

Montegi Forge Traklite 2

Post by MX-54LIFE »

Hello Brian, Montegi Forge Traklite 2 makes a 17x8 @ 45 offset and weighs 14 lbs as they claimed. These forge wheels are not
Japan made :wink: . Do you have any knowledge of say the durability of these wheels? Are the process of forging same in Japan as in say China or else where? And what's the difference between forging and the process Enkie manufacture their wheels (LPC?) Would it really matter in true application as in bench racing against track?
07miata

Post by 07miata »

I ran across these lately also and am wondering if anyone has them? The look and specs seem great! Anyone heard if Motegi's are good wheels? Specifically, the series 2312: Traklite 2.0 Teflon Black, 17x8, 45mm offset, 14 lbs each, machine lipped, 6.5" backside.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Sorry Guys, I don't have any experience with them to share.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
miatarob

Post by miatarob »

I have those wheels. I probably wouldn't have bought them if I knew ahead of time they were made in China. I thought they were US made.
07miata

Post by 07miata »

Thanks! Do you have any pics you can share? Do you not like them being made in China because they're cheap (they've split, cracked, peeled, dented, warped, etc...) or just prefer Made in USA stuff?
miatarob

Post by miatarob »

pics here: http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=304703

No problems as I just got them recently. I'd prefer not to purchase items from China due to possible safety/quality issues not to mention political issues.

I guess cost overrides everything else in today's world. A company named American Racing sells items from China. It's just sad.
07miata

Post by 07miata »

It is sad. I spent a month looking for new pots and pans actually made in the USA (as opposed to merely labeled "Made in USA"). Thanks for posting -- the wheels look great!
zooki

Post by zooki »

I had 15x7 Traklite 2's (6 spoke) in gloss black/polished lip. Very nice and light. Paint was good quality and the rims seemed to be well made. The same wheel in the Traklite 1 (with 5 spokes) in shiny gunmetal/polished lip were beautiful IMO. The finish and the paint looked better than the gloss black. I have heard the flat black Traklite 1's have poor paint jobs, but those are usually a track wheel anyway. The person may have left tons of brake dust on them.