buying 1995 miata. looking for wheels.

Show off your lightweight high-performance wheels and see here what they look like on your Mazda before you buy.
toddr

buying 1995 miata. looking for wheels.

Post by toddr »

Quick question. looking at autocross for a 1995 miata (mostly and limited daily use wheels in a 15" size. Is 15 pounds too much weight for a wheel with maybe falken 615's. car not a daily driver and will see just short street runs. :?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The popular class with the Falkens is the street tire STS2 class and 15 pound wheels are too heavy to be competitive. To avoid frustration in that effort I would skip the 15 pounder and go lighter....every pound of unsprung and rotational weight counts.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
paulb

wheels

Post by paulb »

Before I got wheels and tires I checked with Brian at this site. I have a 94 Miata and he recommended a Konig Featherlight with the Falkan 615 (The Konig was the style of wheel I liked). I am also planning on some autocross. I went with the 15" wheels and 205/50R15 tires. To my surprise the wheels and tires arrived, mounted and balanced, just 2 working days after I placed the order. I just got them on the other day and they are great. There is no longer that 60mph "Miata vibration". The tires seem sticky and hold well from the driving I have done so far. I'll know more after this weekend; I'm getting started in autocross. Brian was there to answer my questions and came through with great service. I was able to save nearly $80 over discount tire by getting the the package from Brian, and probably got a better tire too. Thank you Brian.

Paul
toddr

1995 miata wheels. now looking at suspension upgrades.

Post by toddr »

just ordered the wheels yesterday and would like to talk suspension. car is not a daily driver and will see autocross and trackdays. I live within a mile of Road Atlanta and would also autocross with bmwcca and scca local chapters. I would like to take the car to the upper limits of handling and still be able to adjust it down for weekend and cruise riding. Thanks for the info in advance as I just sold a 1998 bmw m3 and I'm not to familiar with these cars at this time. and how can I find out spring rates that aftermarkets offer.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Thanks to Paul for the good words.

Toddr, give some thought to the autocross class you want to run. IF you still plan to go with the Falkens my suggestion is STS2 and you can do quite a lot in that class all the way up to full hard race spring rates of 700 in the front. You mentioned that the car is not a daily driver so if ride is not a concern then I would go with our higher rate ground control combos with KONI RACE in the front and KONI Race or SPORT in the rear and a front Racing Beat sway bar, and the blocks and bolts kit. For the money...that would be a very fast setup. We also have full coilover setups from JIC and OHLINS but that's a big step up in price.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
toddr

springs and shocks

Post by toddr »

brian, thanks for the quick response. what is the highest spring rate I can use on my 95 if I decide to use the kyb agx. I have heard the koni sports will support about 450 but don't know on the kyb. I should have my new wheels (konig feather silver 15" on by 10/10 and can send you some pics
Thanks in advance Toddr
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I would not take KONI sport over 375 pound springs....and would not take KYB over 250. The KYB just don't hold up well to higher rates which is another reason to pay the extra $14 per corner for Koni Sport shocks instead.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com