Toyo R1R

Show off your lightweight high-performance wheels and see here what they look like on your Mazda before you buy.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Jipspeed wrote:After reading about all of the topics on this forum I mounted the Toyo R1R 235/40/17 on my OZ Ultraleggera 17x8 ET 48, fully confident that the package would fit. It does not. Turning fast or speeding over bumps makes the rear tires'rub the rear fender....So despite all other forum members experiences this combo is a little too much. What should I do? Has anyone rolled their fenders? I'm concerned about damaging the fender rim and the paint. I have not been able to find anyone in my neighbourhood who is capable of the job. The guy who sold the tires suggested using a hammer ?! No way.

Many are running the size of 235/40/17 in STREET tires with no rub on the NC with 48mm offset. That R1R is sized like a race tire....OVERSIZED. We had some Toyo 205.50/15 R1Rs in the shop recently next to a stack of Toyo 215/45/15 T1R. Guess which stack of tires was actually taller when stacked up four tires high? Despite the listed sizes, the R1R stack was half an inch higher. Tire makers always cheat on sizes intended for race use and Toyo is pretty serious about winning STS and STS2 with the R1R. The Toyo is even more oversized than the Falken Azenis RT-615. Here is a picture looking over a stack of just TWO 205/50/15 Falkens at just two 205/50/15 Toyo R1Rs....it shows how massively bigger the Toyo really is. And notice the additional two R1Rs in the background...one of the widest 205/50/15s I have seen.

As to your rolling question...not a big deal. We roll the fenders on our cars. We have the Eastwood fender rolling tool but I also still use the old wooden baseball bat rolling method. Do a google search for "rolling fender lips with baseball bat" and you will find many websites showing you how to do it...
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Jipspeed

Post by Jipspeed »

You were right, no more rubbing...