NC Wheels

Show off your lightweight high-performance wheels and see here what they look like on your Mazda before you buy.
NC62

NC Wheels

Post by NC62 »

Hello!

I'm new to the forum. I live in Puerto Rico, English is not my first language (Sorry abouth my English)
I have a 07 PRHT with Mazdaspeed springs, sways and tower bar. I like to know if I can fit the 18x8 or 17x8 Enkei PRF1 with out any fender rolling, and the tire size to match. Also like to know if I can use 17x8 in front and 18x8 in rear.
rpmchris

Post by rpmchris »

Congrats on the PRHT with MS suspension! I have the same setup on my soft top and love it.

I also have RPF1 wheels, both for street and for autocross. As much as the overall diameter of the wheel and tire width/aspect ratio matters, the offset of the wheel is even more important. Stick with 45-55mm and you'll be fine. And please don't be tempted to "stagger" your wheels front and rear...the NC is so well balanced that there will be no benefit and will likely harm both ride and handling. Same wheel and tire size front and rear, please!

In my opinion, you should stay with a 17" wheel and save some weight. Even though the 18" RPF1 is still light and will fit with 235/35-18 tires with little to no fender rolling or some more negative camber, the extra rotational mass is not as favorable, and will likely hurt your ride a bit. And, the 18" RPF1 is not available to fit our cars in an 8" width, only a 18x7.5" with proper offset. It's the best looking wheel on our NCs, though...

I have 17x7.5" RPF1s (et48) on the street, with 235/40 tires that fit with NO rubbing or fender work required (see pics elsewhere in this forum), and I've also seen the 17x8" RPF1 (et45) fit with most 235/40 tires. Again, it goes back to your alignment - if you have enough negative camber, you can fit just about any 235-width street tire! I also have 17x9" RPF1s (et45) with 245/40 race rubber (lots of fender roll to work).
'06 MX-5 Sport 6-speed
Autocross junkie!
NC62

Post by NC62 »

Thanks rpmchris,

I don't like the a big gap and I do not want to lower the car more. Because the 18 are bigger, I think they make the gap look smaller,even the diameter with the tires still almost the same as the 17x7.5.

On the other hand, How much is the performance being afected by the 18???. As you said the 18 are the best looking but it's the look worth vs the performance.

I notice you use 17 for race. It's a big visual diference in the gap betwen the 18 and 17?

Thanks again for the answer
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

My experience has been that going to 18s without changing diameter or the gap actually makes the gap look worse....because it brings attention to it.

18s can be done right....RP-F1 18x7.5 are as light as stock. But if you want to go wider then certainly 17s can give you more grip and less weight.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
NC62

Post by NC62 »

Hello Brian!

More grip and less weight.. Sounds Good. I would go for the 17x7.5.

Thanks a lot for the advice.

Thanks Brian and rpmchris. I aprecitte your help. :D :D
ppto2you

Re: NC Wheels

Post by ppto2you »

NC62 wrote:Hello! I'm new to the forum. I live in Puerto Rico, I like to know if...
Saludos, Boricua in PR:

I'm also in PR with a moded NC. I have springs and sways, and currently running 18X7.5 @ +45mm offset. Send me an email to arp1@lycos.com so you can check out my setup. My NC also has the full aftermarket intake/exhaust (including the header). I'm in the San Juan area but could meet you somewhere in the interior. I speak Spanish.
me FIRST!
NC62

Post by NC62 »

Hello ppto2you,

Thanks for contacting me. I"ll be glad to meet you. It's good to know that I have an other member of the forum here in Puerto Rico.

Thanks,
Gerald