Q re Shocks & Springs vs. Coils

Mazda RX7 and RX8 Suspension, Intakes, Headers, Exhaust, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
tuberotor

Q re Shocks & Springs vs. Coils

Post by tuberotor »

Brian:
I am uncertain whether or not to spend large on coilovers for my RX-8 with the possibility of an NC purchase on the horizon, and yet I am long overdue for an upgrade in that department. Lots of possible combinations with Koni, RB, Tokico, Eibach, Progress Tech, etc. Could you narrow it down to one or two of your favorite combos? I like the RB products but would like to get a bit more drop than o.5" if possible.

Thanks,
Jeffrey
:?
04 Titanium RX-8 6-speed
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

If the switch to an NC is on the horizon then I would not invest in the coilovers (easier to sell the RX8 if closer to stock). So, I would make that decision first. Assuming you decide to keep the RX8, the next question would be what your intended use will be? If track days are in the plans then our choice of coilover will be something like the JIC....which is really designed for as a dual purpose setup for the guy taking his RX8 to the track on the weekends. On the other hand, if this is going to be for pure street use then a choice like the KW or PSS9 might suit your needs better (full height control, better ride than the stiffer sprung JIC setups). When we talk about coilovers...we are talking about these choices which are all threaded body and give you the ability to set the heights precisely, corner balance, etc.

The examples you have listed are regular spring sets. If you don't need a threaded body coilover, because this is a pure street machine, then a combo of shocks and one of those spring sets is much cheaper. I like the Racing Beat and Progress springs the most. So, if the lowering of the Progress springs suits your needs....that's my suggestion and I would mate those with the Tokico shocks (because the optional adjustment cables make rear adjustments easy).
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
tuberotor

Big Thanks!

Post by tuberotor »

Way to go, Brian! That was exactly the kind of input I needed. And yes, you understood correctly that I am thinking about a cost-effective, less ambitious upgrade to the RX-8 via shocks and springs. Again, this is because I have craved suspension upgrades on the 8 for so long but don't want to make a big time coilover investment there until I am certain about go/no-go on the NC project. That would be a better place to put the money, I think, and you have agreed.

Yea for me! I joined my first car club tonight (San Luis Obispo) and will soon meet up with some of the others. I also found my way to the NASA site and read up on HPDE, competition rules, etc. So much to learn, so much fun to be had doing it.

Thanks for your help.
Jeffrey
04 Titanium RX-8 6-speed