clunking after PSS9 install

Mazda RX7 and RX8 Suspension, Intakes, Headers, Exhaust, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
TheOtherRedMiata

clunking after PSS9 install

Post by TheOtherRedMiata »

So, I've been experiencing some clunking since having installed the PSS9's, it only on the passenger side. I've checked if everything is tight and, everything is. Any ideas?
Brian
Site Admin

Re: clunking after PSS9 install

Post by Brian »

Last time we had this it was actually the customer's aftermarket sway bar poly bushings that were binding and and releasing....and with his blown soft factory shocks it didn't happen much but after installing new stiffer coilovers and setting the car lowered we got a clunk. We shave bushings down a little to free up the movement and problem went away. On a prior time with another customer he had car aligned after lowering it with coilovers and alignment shop did not tighten the eccentric bolts enough and it would clunk going into corners as the eccentrics moved (we did them to over 100 ft/lbs and problem went away, we do 120 ft/lbs on the race cars!).

So, I would try and re-create the noise while you have it in the air and consider other elements that might be involved, the link bolts proper torque, alignment bolts proper torque, the springs properly sitting on perch and not moving around when suspension unloads (what we call 'spring clang'). Bolts at top and bottom of coilover assembly proper torque, etc.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
TheOtherRedMiata

Post by TheOtherRedMiata »

So, this morning I brought the RX8 to my mechanic. He said, at full droop the springs were rattling and the front end link was loose. He tightened the end link and, that has seemed to solve the problem in the front.

Is there a bushing or spacer kit available that would be able to take any looseness out of the springs?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Okay, just basic 'spring clang'. You can add a helper spring if you wanted.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com