Wheels for 4-pot Alu Caliper?

Mazda RX7 and RX8 Suspension, Intakes, Headers, Exhaust, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
yarix8

Wheels for 4-pot Alu Caliper?

Post by yarix8 »

Hi Brian,

I have a keen interest in upgrading my front brakes. I am already a RB customer (Open slot 2 pieces rotor, race pads and brake lines) and I'd like now to upgrade to the 4-pot Aluminium calipers kit (ref 61-0620) for my RX8.
In 2010, I bought from you four Enkei RPF1 17"x9 wheels. On RB website it is clearly stated that they are not compatible (clearance issue I suppose), but they also say that their calipers will fit most 17" wheels.

I am considering the idea to buy new wheels (such as the Enkei 17x9 PF01 ET48mm or the 6ULR Charcoal 17x9), but I need to be sure that those wheels will be compatible with the calipers. Do you know if they are OK?

My RX8 is a dedicated track car and I want to stay with 17" wheels...

Thank you!!

Yari
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Wheels for 4-pot Alu Caliper?

Post by Brian »

That Enkei 17x9 has almost no clearance for four piston calipers and the current Racing Brake kits will not fit in that wheel.

We are working on a new kit that might fit in that wheel, but likely 30 days before we have it on the site.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
yarix8

Post by yarix8 »

Good to know!

I will check regularly :-)

Thank you
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

We hope to have the new kit out by middle of January.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
yarix8

Post by yarix8 »

Hi Brian,

any news about the new kit? I only see the wilwood big brake kit but I am not sure that those will fit Enkey 17x9...

Thank you!
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Nothing with opposed pistons fits the 17x9 now...or ever I expect.

The wilwood kit is the new kit, now in production. It uses a super narrow 6 piston caliper but even with that caliper a 3mm spacer is needed for the 17x9 RPF1. It was my hope during development that we could push the caliper inboard enough for the 17x9 RPF1 but didn't work out. Most every other choice will clear, even 17x7.5 RP-F1 48mm offset will clear the new Wilwood brakes...but the 17x9 45mm RPF1 needs a spacer.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
yarix8

Post by yarix8 »

Hi Brian,

thank you for your answer. So if I understand right, it is sufficient to add a 3mm wheel spacer and the wilwood brake kit will fit inside the Enkei 17x9 ET48, isn't it?

And what kind of pads choice there is? I need full race pads (I have a dedicated track rx8).
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The Enkei 17x9 ET48 PF01 fits easily over the new Wilwood kit.
The Enkei 17x9 ET45 RPF1 needs 3mm spacers for the same kit.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com