RX8 COILOVER SELECTION

Mazda RX7 and RX8 Suspension, Intakes, Headers, Exhaust, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
RXFEVER

RX8 COILOVER SELECTION

Post by RXFEVER »

My son and I are working on some minor modifications in my 04 RX-8 to enjoy more our track days and with the intentions of competing in Autocross, time attack and road rally events. We want to improved the suspension with a good set of coilovers, but we can't decide which brand and setup to purchase. :?

We always haul the car to all the events, but less the Autocross, which we drive. Any advise 8) Thanks
Brian
Site Admin

Re: RX8 COILOVER SELECTION

Post by Brian »

My top choice is our OHLINS coilovers.

If they don't fit the budget then call and talk with our guys about our FEAL coilovers.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
RXFEVER

Post by RXFEVER »

Brian wrote:My top choice is our OHLINS coilovers.

If they don't fit the budget then call and talk with our guys about our FEAL coilovers.
Thanks Brian. I notice that you sale two different configuration sets for the OHLINS. To get the ones that better fit our purpose, can you get us a simple explanation about why a different spring rate or spring force? For what I read in the coilover descriptions the road - track version could be the best selection but have lower spring force. We don't want to over achieved in our modifications. Thanks again, Jose
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

If driving the car daily my suggestion is the standard kit, which is very fast for track use. That standard kit is a great balance of daily ride comfort and still really fast for track days. Many customers tell me the standard kit rides as good as stock. I don't quite agree it rides as soft as stock, I think what they mean is that it rides great and is comfortable for daily use despite being so much more controlled than stock. Even the standard kit is several times more spring rate than stock.

If priority is track speed then step up to the race kit but just know the spring rates are getting so high that daily ride comfort takes a hit, even with the amazing DFV valving on the Ohlins (which opens more flow over big bumps to keep control over the rough stuff). Race kit is perhaps 1 second faster on typical track surfaces but on rougher older tracks it is not faster at all. So, if your regular tracks are fresh surfaces and smooth then Race kit will be faster, and if your local tracks have rough surfaces likely no advantage for you in the race kit.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com