RX8 TCS Light On

Mazda RX7 and RX8 Suspension, Intakes, Headers, Exhaust, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
RXFEVER

RX8 TCS Light On

Post by RXFEVER »

Need help to understand DSC and TCS in my 2004 RX8. Everything was working fine until we change the OEM steering wheel for an aftermarket steering wheel with a short hub and a quick release. Now the TCS (Traction Control System) light turn on as soon the car start rolling and stay on until we turn the car off, which reset the system until we start running again. With the TCS On, I can't dissable or turn off the DSC through the console switch.

What I'm missing? Is there something, other than the air bag, in the OEM steering wheel that need to be in place so the system works? How I can achieved or troubleshoot this issue? Hope you can point to the right direction. :?
Brian
Site Admin

Re: RX8 TCS Light On

Post by Brian »

Sorry, have not seen that issue. But, have not changed the steering wheel on RX8, so that could be related. I would search the various RX8 forums for same issue and see if somebody has already been through the same.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
RXFEVER

Re: RX8 TCS Light On

Post by RXFEVER »

Hi Brian, finally I found what was the issue with the TCS. The short hub for the quick release that I installed was moving the steering wheel angle sensor about 9 degrees away from the center line. Basically, in simple terms, the RX8 PCM verifies the signal input from the ABS wheels sensor, speed and steering wheel angle sensor to calculate the rate of turn and decide how and when will activate the DSC/TCS. That's why everything was OK until the car accelerate passing the 15 to 16 miles/hr mark, which at that moment because the position of the steering the PCM didn't have any input from the angle sensor and release the malfunction code. Hope this help in the future. Jose