Rear Brake Adjustment

Installations instructions for MonsterFlow intakes, Big Brake Kits, shocks and more.
bigsmittyJAS

Rear Brake Adjustment

Post by bigsmittyJAS »

I just installed new rear brake pads and rotors on a NA Miata. I kept the stock calipers and installed Hawk pads and Powerslot rotors. I am not entirely sure that I have them adjusted properly. The shop manual I have specifies that you should tighten the adjusting screw until they are just touching the rotor and then back off 1/3 turn. Well, I thought I did that and tried to engage the parking brake and the rotor spun with no problem. I kept iterating like this until I could get the parking brake to properly engage so that I could not turn the rotor. However, I am very concerned that there is not enough clearance between the pad and the rotor. I also want to maximize the performance of the new pads/rotors that I just bought.

Anyone that has done this before have any suggestions on how to best dial the rear calipers in? It seems like there should be a gap spec that you can measure with a feeler guage or something. I just do not want to drag on the rotors and overheat them, or prematurely wear the components. Thanks in advance.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I like 1/4 turn from pad contact. You would discover pretty quick if the pad was too tight...you would feel the pad drag.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com