NC: Installing new shocks by myself?

Installations instructions for MonsterFlow intakes, Big Brake Kits, shocks and more.
GordonJ

NC: Installing new shocks by myself?

Post by GordonJ »

I hope this is a pretty simple, straightforward question for you guys:

I have an NC with lowered Eibach Sportlines on stock shocks. It's been great for the time I've used it, but I'd like to upgrade to some aftermarket (the Tokicos) shocks to pair them with now.

Question: How easy/straightforward is JUST a shock install on our car, compared to say, springs? I really don't want to pay a shop for something I could realistically do myself, but on the other hand, I have no real experience and don't want to discover half through that I'm in way over my head.

So is this a pretty simple procedure then? Just shocks, no springs?

P.S. I understand the Tokicos WON'T lower the car anymore. After installing them, would I still need a realignment?

Thanks so much to everyone!
2006 MX-5 Grand Touring
True Red
Premium Package II
ctompkins5

Post by ctompkins5 »

I have not done dampers, I have just installed new springs myself.

But I would think that if you can do one you can do the other since a change of either requires the removal and disassembly of the entire shock assembly. Meaning, take the shock assembly out, take it apart, replace the damper, reassemble and reinstall. It's going to be the same process as when you did the springs.

I may be wrong about this, but I can't imagine how the process would differ. Or maybe I am misunderstanding your question.

If you have never done it before at all, then I will relay my experience to you as I recently replaced my springs myself. First off, since I was a first-timer, it took me way longer than I anticipated. Close to 9 hours all told. Granted much of that was just trying to figure out how to loosen really stuck nuts and bolts, and having to run out to buy extra tools that I should have had at the beginning. Make sure you get yourself a good breaker bar, a good impact wrench, a torque wrench, plenty of WD40, a set of spring compressors, jack stands or race ramps, and also useful would be a good bench mounted vice, although I was able to work without it.

For removal of the shock assembly, just follow the first part of the instructions here:
http://www.good-win-racing.com/mazda-ta ... .php?t=659

These are really good instructions and cover all of the issues you should have for removal of the assembly.

I also found these instructions useful for knowing what torque settings needed for all of the nuts and bolts when reinstalling:
http://www.finishlineperformance.com/pd ... aSpeed.pdf

It's not rocket science, and is pretty straight forward if you have all of the right tools. Do a google search on using the spring compressors, since that is really critical to your health that you do it right, but it's not hard to do if you follow the directions. Just make sure you've got plenty of time to work on it, take it slow, don't try and cut corners and you'll be fine. I was so happy when I finished. I felt accomplished and I saved money. Well worth it for me.
GordonJ

Post by GordonJ »

Thanks for the great reply!

I suppose I should have specified in my first post that I did NOT install my current Eibach Sportlines myself (got a good deal through the dealership), so I went that route.
So I don't have any experience installing springs.

I've read on another forums and even watched Youtube videos about shock-only replacement NOT requiring any tampering with the springs, so you just unbolt the shock, slide the new shock in, rebolt, and you're just about finished. However, I'm under the impression it's not just that simple with the NC.
2006 MX-5 Grand Touring
True Red
Premium Package II
ctompkins5

Post by ctompkins5 »

Yep, not that simple, unfortunately.