Stainless Brake Lines Note of Caution

Installations instructions for MonsterFlow intakes, Big Brake Kits, shocks and more.
StKnoWhere

Stainless Brake Lines Note of Caution

Post by StKnoWhere »

After installing the AEM Cold Air Intake (easy install, works great), I decided while the car was up on jack stands to install the new brake lines ordered a couple of months ago. Final results were better than expected, quality part, good response and improved brake torque using Carbotech pads. The ABS engages more readily now.

From the "I'm really stupid" category... It was 95 with high humidity, sweat dripping on the eyeglasses. I was tired after installing the intake (popping out and in all those little plastic rivets). Was not paying as much attention as I should have.

The rear brakes has a fork that holds the brake line in position and protects the line from rotating. During the install I had problems getting the fitting lined up and did not notice the diameter of the new brake line near the banjo fitting was a slightly larger diameter than stock. Making a long story short, the larger diameter crimp at the banjo fitting slightly cocked the bolt into the caliper and I ended up cross threading the connection into the caliper. Of course the fitting seized up and the head broke off trying to get it out.... :oops:

After an unsuccessful attempts to remove the remainder of the fitting embedded in the head, I ended up ordering a new caliper from the dealer (~$330 list, parts person at Mazda felt sorry for me and reduced it to $280...). There were only 6 in the country but it arrived today. I Dremeled the slot out about 1/10in, banjo fitting fits, within an hour everything is back together and working - the GoodWin mobile is back on the street :-)

One of these days I'll learn to walk away when I'm hot, tired and not paying attention...
07miata

Post by 07miata »

I did the same thing on my old Protege5 and it drove me nuts. Had to order a caliper from Canada (I'm in FL). Glad it worked out and thanks for the heads-up as I was about to order SS brake lines myself!
StKnoWhere

Post by StKnoWhere »

If I did it again, I'd start from the caliper and work back to prevent brake fluid from drooling at the banjo fitting while trying to fasten at the caliper.
camper12

Post by camper12 »

Thanks for the heads up. Working backwards from the caliper sounds like a good idea.
[url=http://www.colemanallied.com/atlanta-movers.aspx]Atlanta Movers[/url] | [url=http://www.colemanallied.com/houston-movers.aspx]Houston Movers[/url]