AEM Installation Instructions 2006 Miata

Installations instructions for MonsterFlow intakes, Big Brake Kits, shocks and more.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: AEM Installation Instructions 2006 Miata

Post by Brian »

Sorry, we lost some pics when we switched over to the current forum software. But all kits have the instructions with pics included.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
bjinright

Post by bjinright »

I was looking for the STR modified install notes. Anyone know where to find them?
projectrally

Post by projectrally »

Hey Brian,

any updated info on the install specifics if you've got an 09+ car?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yes, turned out the install can be completed with the bits already on the car.....just re-use the factory elbow.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
projectrally

Post by projectrally »

Brian wrote:Yes, turned out the install can be completed with the bits already on the car.....just re-use the factory elbow.
Do i have to bypass or disconnect the sound enhancer resonator? More accurately, Do I get do? Nothing would make me happier...
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

If you use the factory elbow, you keep the sound enhancer.

If you use the AEM supplied elbow, you don't keep the sound enhancer. But, you need some additional bits to use the supplied AEM elbow. Ford part # 4L2Z-6762-AA is the male socket for the PCV line. It fits nicely into the AEM supplied 90° air intake elbow, with a hose clamp to secure it for extra measure. Ford part # 3L3Z-6758-BA uses the same material as the MX5 PCV line, and it has a 90° bend. Cut the female socket off the PCV line and attached it to part of the Ford tubing. The other end of the Ford tubing is spliced into the MX5 PCV line with a double ended 3/8" hose barb. The splice is hidden under the insulation hose.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
hhowey

Post by hhowey »

Just finished exchanging a Racing Beat cold air with the AEM. I believe the RB instructions on bumper removal are generally superior to AEM. There is some additional removals that are needed. I doubt there is really enough room to easily replace the filter without bumper removal. The AEM instructions are mute here.

The problem with the RB was that the housing for the filter was attached by only one of the plastic snaps. This eventually broke and made replacement of the filter impossible. This has hopefully been improved since 2006. The AEM is definitely a better construction.

The overall effect of the AEM seems superior to the RB. Their instructions are not as good for the bumper removal. Also, I have the RB protector for the radiator. One of the clips must be bent to install one of the AEM bolts. It's quite easy.

I suppose I should fuss at RB about the attachment. Brian did get some business, however;-)
Skip Howey
hhowey

Post by hhowey »

After completing the AEM installation, I don't think there is really enough room to pull the filter with the bumper on. It;s very tight and the pipe down is REALLY tied down, thankfully.
Skip Howey
GarrettL903

Post by GarrettL903 »

Hey so sorry for bringing up this old thread. But i just bought the mazdaspeed AEM cold air intake for my 08. Looking through the installation and noticing the discussion about install pics. If its still applicable, Brian could you email me these pics just so i have something to study before the part arrives. Also wondering if theres a notable difference in any performance... Note the car is all stock and this will be my first mod for it. I live in the south east of the continental us.. A high humidity area... Will this excess of water in the air cause me any problems down the road since this car is my daily driver. (50m+ daily). Im very new to car mechanics, my only experience is the past year of being in the air force working on planes.. So bear with me if any questions i ask are redundant. By the way loving this new hobby haven't even started mods yet but i go out with a hayes manual almost everyday just to understand more about its layout and part functions.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Sorry, I don't have those pics to send.

The humidity won't cause any issues.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com