NA/NB Seat Rail: Bolt Conflict

Installations instructions for MonsterFlow intakes, Big Brake Kits, shocks and more.
skeeler

NA/NB Seat Rail: Bolt Conflict

Post by skeeler »

Brian,

I'm trying to install a Cobra Racer Pro in my NA using Sparco sliders and side mounts and your NA/NB seat rail

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Pe ... -0555.html

I've found that, when the slider is moved forward of center, it hits the bolt holding the rail to the floor. (This may also happen in the rear, though there seems to be more clearance there, but I'm concerned with moving the seat forward.) I bought some 10x1.25 socket-head cap screws in hopes that the smaller head would let the slider past, but there is still interference.

Do I need to find some super-low-head screws to make this work? Is there some other approach I should use?

Thank you for your help.
2009, STR & DD. 1995, HPDE. 2004 MSM, sold. 2010 Mazda3, hers.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: NA/NB Seat Rail: Bolt Conflict

Post by Brian »

Confused, sounds like the bolts are in upside down. Perhaps post pics?
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
skeeler

Post by skeeler »

Brian,

Yeah, perhaps photos would be appropriate. In the meantime, how about a better description?

I have the sidemounts bolted to the seat and to the top of the sliders. The sliders are bolted to the sidemounts and your seat rail. All that seems fine. The problem comes when screwing the rail to the stock mounting points on the tub. I don't think I have the screws in backwards, because they can only go in one way: from the top. The screw heads are both tall and wide enough that, when I try to slide the sliders forward of the middle, the top (sliding) part of the slider hits the screw heads on the front two screws holding the rail to the tub. Like I said, going to socket-head cap screws doesn't give enough clearance. I've been looking for some low-head socket cap screws or truss-head screws, but those are difficult to find in 10x1.25, and I figure that I must be doing something wrong, because you said that most people use this rail with Sparco sliders.

Any guidance you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
skeeler

Post by skeeler »

Brian,

Here are some photos:

I think the first photo shows the problem best. As you can see, the top, sliding part of the slider wraps around the sides, and when I try to slide the seat forward, it hits the screw. The photo shows the socket-head screw, but the stock hex-head screw is at least as tall and wider.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
skeeler

Post by skeeler »

So, am I doing something wrong here? Do I just need some low-profile screws? What have others done?

Thanks.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Move seat bracket forward on the slider....it has another slotted hole. Normally not this far forward such that it is not usually an issue.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
skeeler

Post by skeeler »

Brian,

Thanks for the suggestion. That's a good start. Unfortunately, the second slot is only about 2.5 or 3 cm from the first, which only gets me about halfway as far forward as I need. I can't add additional slots, because I'd run out of sidemount. I guess I'll have to improvise. Is there any reason I can't add a washer or two as spacers between the rail and the slider? If I can find some low-profile screws, one washer might be enough to allow the slider to clear the screw head.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

That washer idea is creative...and I can't think of a reason it won't work.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com